Feb 22, 2013, 2:56 PM EDT
Charlotte announced on Friday that junior guard DeMario Mayfield has been dismissed from the program.
Mayfield, who began his college career at Georgia, has not played since being suspended indefinitely for a violation of athletic department policy on January 30. In 18 games this season Mayfield averaged 11.7 points and 3.6 rebounds per game, scoring 17 points in the 49ers’ 82-54 loss to George Washington on January 26.
And with today’s news, that game will be the final one that Mayfield plays in a Charlotte uniform.
“The coaching staff wants to wish DeMario the best in his future endeavors,” head coach Alan Major said in the statement. “We will continue to move forward as a team.”
Since Mayfield was suspended Charlotte has gone 2-3, with one of the victories being a 71-67 win at No. 15 Butler on February 13. With Mayfield having missed this many games already Charlotte won’t have an adjustment to make when it comes to their rotation.
The bigger concern for Alan Major’s team is their home game against Temple on Sunday afternoon, with Charlotte having lost three of its last four games.
After Sunday’s game Charlotte’s final four regular season games will be against teams beneath them in the Atlantic 10 standings, which opens the door for the 49ers to pick up a few wins before the conference tournament in Brooklyn.
But if Charlotte doesn’t take better care of the basketball (they’ve turned the ball 15 times or more in each of their last three defeats) locking up a spot in the Atlantic 10 tournament will be tougher than it should be.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)