Feb 22, 2013, 1:12 PM EDT
With the NCAA finally sending a notice of infractions to the University of Miami earlier this week, the school and those charged in the report have a limited amount of time in which to respond to the allegations.
Three former assistant coaches at the school, two of them being former basketball assistants Jake Morton and Jorge Fernandez, have filed a motion with the NCAA to have their infractions cases dismissed according to the Associated Press.
Fernandez and former football assistant Aubrey Hill were cited with a violation of Rule 10.1, which governs ethical conduct. The motion states that the NCAA’s relationship with the attorney of Nevin Shapiro makes it almost impossible for them to receive a fair hearing.
The motion, according to the person, says the three coaches believe the NCAA’s alliance with the attorney for the former booster at the center of the Miami scandal has created a scenario where they cannot “get a fair and reasonable proceeding.”
A conference call on the matter is scheduled for Friday with the NCAA.
“It’s unprecedented that all this is happening, and happening this way,” the person said.
The NCAA hit Miami with the “lack of institutional control” charge in relation to the school’s failure to monitor Shapiro, who is currently in prison due to his operation of a $930 million Ponzi scheme.
Responses to the NCAA’s allegations are due from the other coaches involved, one of which being Missouri head coach Frank Haith (head coach at Miami during the time the alleged infractions took place), are due on May 20.
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 0
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 0
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 2
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)