Feb 22, 2013, 6:15 PM EDT
We’re not even in the month of March and things are happening in regards to the 2013-14 season.
Three of the four host schools for November’s 2K Sports Classic benefitting Coaches vs. Cancer are Boston College, Connecticut and Washington. Those schools will play in the semifinals and finals of the event, which are scheduled to be played on November 21 and 22 at Madison Square Garden.
The 2K Sports Classic is one of those early season events in which the host teams automatically advance to the semifinals whether or not they lose a game in the regional rounds (November 15-18).
And with that in mind it’s pretty obvious what one of the two matchups should be, regardless of the school that the Gazelle Group lands to complete the quartet.
Yes, Boston College and UConn need to play in one of those semifinals.
The two New England schools haven’t played since the 2004-05 season, Boston College’s final season as a member of the Big East. The Eagles, formerly a charter member of the Big East, made the move to the ACC and to be frank there were some vitriolic words used in response to their decision.
There was also the lawsuit filed in Connecticut against Boston College, Miami and the ACC by remaining members of the Big East when the first major moves of realignment took place.
But with so many schools hopping onto the realignment carousel in recent years how beneficial is it to harbor grudges? With the last meeting between the two schools coming back in 2005, it’s time for BC and Connecticut to meet again.
And given their history, what venue would be better for the schools to renew acquaintances than Madison Square Garden?
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 4
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)