Feb 22, 2013, 8:28 PM EDT
For the last time as members of the Big East, No. 11 Georgetown will roll in to upstate New York and take on rival No. 8 Syracuse. Michael Carter-Williams didn’t wait until the 4 p.m. tip to add to the rivalry.
During the latest installment of The Mike and CJ Show — aired on Syracuse.com — the sophomore point guard didn’t hold back when talking about the series between the Orange and Hoyas.
“It’s a great rivalry,” said Carter-Williams. “We’ve always been better than them. Always will be better than them. And we just want to go out on top.”
Carter-Williams basically reiterated what former Cuse forward Kris Joseph said in a video message Carter-Williams and CJ Fair watched before Carter-Williams’ comments.
Record-wise, MCW is stating a fact. The Orange hold a 48-39 lead over the Hoyas in the series. However, Georgetown has won more Big East Conference titles and appeared in more Final Fours. Each program has one national title.
These comments made by the Syracuse point guard only add to Saturday’s matchup. Besides the rivalry game, this is for first place in the conference standings. Georgetown and Syracuse are tied with Marquette, who also plays Saturday. The Orange will also be running into one of the nation’s hottest teams with the Hoyas entering the Carrier Dome winners of eight straight.
Good news for Syracuse, though, as freshman DaJuan Coleman returned to practice on Thursday and will be available for Saturday against Georgetown, according to Mike Waters of The Post-Standard.
Syracuse and Georgetown meet for the last time as Big East foes on Mar. 9 in D.C.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)