Feb 22, 2013, 8:28 PM EDT
For the last time as members of the Big East, No. 11 Georgetown will roll in to upstate New York and take on rival No. 8 Syracuse. Michael Carter-Williams didn’t wait until the 4 p.m. tip to add to the rivalry.
During the latest installment of The Mike and CJ Show — aired on Syracuse.com — the sophomore point guard didn’t hold back when talking about the series between the Orange and Hoyas.
“It’s a great rivalry,” said Carter-Williams. “We’ve always been better than them. Always will be better than them. And we just want to go out on top.”
Carter-Williams basically reiterated what former Cuse forward Kris Joseph said in a video message Carter-Williams and CJ Fair watched before Carter-Williams’ comments.
Record-wise, MCW is stating a fact. The Orange hold a 48-39 lead over the Hoyas in the series. However, Georgetown has won more Big East Conference titles and appeared in more Final Fours. Each program has one national title.
These comments made by the Syracuse point guard only add to Saturday’s matchup. Besides the rivalry game, this is for first place in the conference standings. Georgetown and Syracuse are tied with Marquette, who also plays Saturday. The Orange will also be running into one of the nation’s hottest teams with the Hoyas entering the Carrier Dome winners of eight straight.
Good news for Syracuse, though, as freshman DaJuan Coleman returned to practice on Thursday and will be available for Saturday against Georgetown, according to Mike Waters of The Post-Standard.
Syracuse and Georgetown meet for the last time as Big East foes on Mar. 9 in D.C.
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 3
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 4
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season (4)