Feb 23, 2013, 1:29 PM EST
Indiana State has had to power its way through a tough Missouri Valley Conference this season, but got no break Saturday in a BracketBuster non-conference matchup against Iona.
Jake Odum found Dawon Cummings for a layup with four seconds remaining to lift the Sycamores to a 65-64 win at the Hulman Center in Terre Haute, Ind.
But for Indiana State, this is more about not losing than getting a quality win. Iona’s RPI ranks 134th in the country, meaning that the Sycamores avoided another blemish on their resume.
ISU (RPI: 64) is likely on the wrong side of the bubble right now and can’t be too confident as an at-large with the resume it has built. Yes, there are wins over Miami, Ole Miss, and Creighton, but also losses to Missouri State, Bradley, Morehead State, and Southern Illinois. They have five losses to teams with an RPI of 150 or above.
The three game losing streak that was snapped Saturday is a major hurdle that they might not be able to overcome. Obviously a Missouri Valley tournament title would punch the automatic ticket to the NCAAs, but could a long run in that tournament could do the trick, too?
If Indiana State does not get the automatic, but wins its final two regular season games and makes a run in St. Louis, the Sycamores could present one of the more confusing tournament resumes to the selection committee.
- Chase for 180: So far, so good for Virginia’s Justin Anderson 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Kansas Jayhawks 1
- Wichita State’s offensive struggles highlighted by come-from-behind win vs. Alabama 1
- Michigan State’s efficient three-point shooting is key for 2014-15 success 0
- No. 11 Wichita State rallies from 11 down to beat Alabama thanks to Van Vleet (VIDEO) 0
- The Ten Most Important Midseason Additions 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: New faces are popping up in our top ten 0
- Dana Altman says Oregon’s hands up, don’t shoot protest not ‘appropriate time’ (20)
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (5)
- Self says No. 10 Kansas is ‘not good right now’, and that should scare you (4)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (4)