Feb 24, 2013, 11:40 PM EDT
With Mark Lyons having just one season of eligibility and Duquesne transfer T.J. McConnell having two beginning with the 2013-14 campaign, Arizona needed to land a point guard in the 2014 class.
Sean Miller and his staff struck quickly, as they received a verbal commitment from 5-8 point guard Parker Jackson-Cartwright on Sunday (subscription required) as reported by Josh Gershon of scout.com.
Jackson-Cartwright currently plays at Loyola High School in Los Angeles, and older brother Miles Cartwright is currently a guard at Penn. The Cubs went 22-7 this season, going 10-2 in the Mission League, and reached the quarterfinals of the CIF Southern Section Division IAA championships.
Jackson-Cartwright also received offers from schools such as UCLA, Colorado, Arizona State, UNLV and San Diego State.
Some may look at Jackson-Cartwright’s height and wonder if he’s capable of competing at an elite level, but he’s got the skills needed to run the show for the Wildcats. A very good distributor, Jackson-Cartwright will be a good distributor for a program that has two outstanding wings in its 2013 class (McDonald’s All-American Rondae Jefferson and Elliott Pitts).
After this season Arizona will have just two point guards in the program: McConnell and reserve Jordin Mayes, who will be a senior next season. Arizona also has walk-on Jacob Hazzard and freshman Gabe York, with York being an undersized two-guard as opposed to a point guard.
In theory the Wildcats would have McConnell running the show in 2014-15, which would allow Jackson-Cartwright to become more acclimated to the college game from a physical standpoint.
Jackson-Cartwright is the second verbal commitment in the 2014 class for Arizona, which also holds a verbal from 6-2 guard Eric Cooper Jr.
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 0
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 1
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- John Calipari: ‘We’re chasing perfection’ (14)
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Big Ten considering ‘protected rivalries’ for basketball schedule (9)
- Federal tax documents reveal that Mike Krzyzewski made $9.7 million in 2011 (4)
- Evan Gordon is transferring to Indiana (4)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree reportedly tears achilles, out for year
- PHT: Canucks reportedly fire Vigneault, assistants