Feb 24, 2013, 11:40 PM EST
With Mark Lyons having just one season of eligibility and Duquesne transfer T.J. McConnell having two beginning with the 2013-14 campaign, Arizona needed to land a point guard in the 2014 class.
Sean Miller and his staff struck quickly, as they received a verbal commitment from 5-8 point guard Parker Jackson-Cartwright on Sunday (subscription required) as reported by Josh Gershon of scout.com.
Jackson-Cartwright currently plays at Loyola High School in Los Angeles, and older brother Miles Cartwright is currently a guard at Penn. The Cubs went 22-7 this season, going 10-2 in the Mission League, and reached the quarterfinals of the CIF Southern Section Division IAA championships.
Jackson-Cartwright also received offers from schools such as UCLA, Colorado, Arizona State, UNLV and San Diego State.
Some may look at Jackson-Cartwright’s height and wonder if he’s capable of competing at an elite level, but he’s got the skills needed to run the show for the Wildcats. A very good distributor, Jackson-Cartwright will be a good distributor for a program that has two outstanding wings in its 2013 class (McDonald’s All-American Rondae Jefferson and Elliott Pitts).
After this season Arizona will have just two point guards in the program: McConnell and reserve Jordin Mayes, who will be a senior next season. Arizona also has walk-on Jacob Hazzard and freshman Gabe York, with York being an undersized two-guard as opposed to a point guard.
In theory the Wildcats would have McConnell running the show in 2014-15, which would allow Jackson-Cartwright to become more acclimated to the college game from a physical standpoint.
Jackson-Cartwright is the second verbal commitment in the 2014 class for Arizona, which also holds a verbal from 6-2 guard Eric Cooper Jr.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 2
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)