Feb 24, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT
Game of the Day: No.4 Michigan State vs. No. 18 Ohio State (4:00 p.m. ET, CBS)
The heavyweight bouts in the Big Ten have been a Sunday treat throughout conference play and it continues today. Ohio State got a key win over Minnesota on Wednesday, but now welcomes a Michigan State team that had won five straight before falling to No. 1 Indiana earlier this week.
The biggest positional matchup Sunday will be at the point guard spot. Michigan State’s Keith Appling was bothered by the different types of pressure that Indiana placed on him on the defensive end and he struggled because of it. It gets no easier Sunday, as Appling meets one of the best defenders in the country, Aaron Craft. To compensate, Appling will need to get others involved, including Adreian Payne and Derrick Nix down low, as well as Gary Harris and Branden Dawson on the perimeter.
For Ohio State, it will be the same as it always is. Turn defense into offense and provide support for Deshaun Thomas offensively so he doesn’t have to shoulder all of the scoring load. If Thomas can settle in and have a comfortable 25% stake in the overall scoring output and the Buckeyes are efficient with the ball, they are tough to beat.
Who’s Getting Upset?: No. 20 Pittsburgh (-7) vs. St. John’s (12:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
St. John’s has made it tough for quality teams to come into Madison Square Garden over the past few seasons under Steve Lavin and Pittsburgh will face that Sunday. The scoring duo of D’Angelo Harrison and JaKarr Sampson has emerged as one of the better young combos in the Big East, plus junior college transfer Marco Bourgault is providing quality minutes and a three-point threat to stretch the defense.
Pittsburgh will be limited on the interior if shot-blocking freshman Chris Obekpa and his 4.1 blocks per game can stay out of foul trouble on Sunday. Ultimately, though, it will come down to whether St. John’s is making shots. If they struggle from the field, Pittsburgh has enough to win. If the Red Storm are hot, we could have an upset in New York City.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Day: Lehigh vs. Lafayette (12:00 p.m. ET)
Even without C.J. McCollum for much of the season, Lehigh has powered on. The Mountain Hawks still trail Bucknell by a game in the Patriot League race and face a tough matchup against Lafayette Sunday. Even with a win, though, it is unlikely that Lehigh pulls into a tie for the lead because Bucknell takes on Holy Cross today, but the Mountain Hawks need a win to keep pace.
Five Things to Watch For
1) There’s a trap game awaiting No. 6 Duke Sunday. Prior to a key back-to-back stretch against Virginia and Miami, the Blue Devils face Boston College. The Blue Devils are heavily favored, but this BC team is riding high after upsetting Maryland earlier in the week and winning two of their last three games.
2) St. John’s sits squarely on the bubble and could use another quality win. There’s no better place to get it than at home. The Red Storm meet No. 20 Pittsburgh at Madison Square Garden.
3) Illinois will make the NCAA tournament if the wheels don’t fall off down the stretch here, but a win over No. 4 Michigan on Sunday would go a long way toward improving its seeding.
4) With California’s recent run and Oregon slipping back a bit, the Pac-12 is getting interesting. That means UCLA is in a “can’t lose” situation if wants to stay in the race for the conference regular season title. USC is a winnable game and the Bruins need to capitalize.
5) Temple is another team on the NCAA tournament bubble. Their final four games, with Charlotte included Sunday, is both difficult and favorable. The Owls still have to meet Detroit in a rescheduled non-conference game, plus VCU to end the season, but also get Rhode Island and Fordham in the middle. Point being, Temple needs a win Sunday against Charlotte.
The Top 25
No. 4 Michigan State vs. No. 18 Ohio State (4:00 p.m. ET, CBS)
No. 6 Duke vs. Boston College (2:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
No. 7 Michigan vs. Illinois (1:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
No. 20 Pittsburgh vs. St. John’s (12:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
No. 25 Notre Dame vs. Cincinnati (2:00 p.m. ET, CBS)
Other Notable Games
Lehigh vs. Lafayette (12:00 p.m. ET)
Georgia Tech vs. Virginia (2:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
UCLA vs. USC (3:30 p.m. ET, Fox Sports Net National)
Temple vs. Charlotte (4:00 p.m. ET)
LIU Brooklyn vs. Wagner (8:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
Apr 20, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
Houston landed a second junior college transfer Sunday, with Howard College product Eric Weary announcing his decision to commit to the program.
Apr 20, 2014, 4:07 PM EDT
More than three years later, Nick Resavy is still making ridiculous shots.
Apr 20, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT
The electrifying point guard has put his name into the NBA draft.
Apr 20, 2014, 12:51 PM EDT
The Harrison twins are halfway through deciding on returning to Lexington or declaring for the NBA draft.
Apr 20, 2014, 12:02 PM EDT
Garrett becomes the fourth member of the Crimson Tide’s incoming class.
Apr 20, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
The Cougars landed a former top 100 recruit on Sunday morning.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Just over a week after his appeal to be released from his scholarship at Marshall was granted, Kareem Canty’s decided to transfer to Auburn.
Apr 20, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
Watch the incoming class showcase their talents in Brooklyn on Friday night.
Apr 20, 2014, 12:58 AM EDT
According to a report, Louisiana Tech’s Michael White is the focus of Tennessee’s search for a new head coach.
Apr 19, 2014, 9:17 PM EDT
A Kentucky fan promised to get a tattoo of Willie Cauley-Stein if the 7-footer returned to Lexington for his junior season. Saturday, Michael Gray followed through.
Apr 19, 2014, 7:36 PM EDT
UNLV has added another player to its 2014 recruiting class, as shooting guard Patrick McCaw verbally committed to the Mountain West program.
Apr 19, 2014, 6:24 PM EDT
Arizona State has made another addition to its roster, landing a commitment from former UNLV forward Savon Goodman.
Apr 19, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
Forward Zach LeDay has decided to leave the USF program after spending two seasons in Tampa.
Apr 19, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
New Florida A&M AD Kellen Winslow Sr. has already decided that the basketball program needs a new leader, as head coach Clemon Johnson was relieved of his duties Friday.
Apr 19, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT
Will highly-touted Colombian center Tonny Trocha-Morelos finally be joining the Texas A&M program?
Apr 19, 2014, 2:39 PM EDT
Michigan had some open scholarships following the 2014 NBA Draft departures of Nik Stauskas and Glenn Robinson III and they filled one of those on Saturday with a commitment from senior guard Muhammad Ali Abdur-Rahkman.
Apr 19, 2014, 1:25 PM EDT
Gonzaga will have a very tough non-conference slate during the 2014-15 season.
Apr 19, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT
Two-and-through sounds more and more likely to happen.
Apr 19, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill and Satchel Pierce are following former Golden Eagles coach Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech as the duo committed to the Hokies on Saturday morning.
POSTERIZED: SMU commit Emmanuel Mudiay flushes a ridiculous alley-oop during Jordan Brand Classic (VIDEO)
Apr 19, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
SMU commit Emmanuel Mudiay put down the best dunk at the Jordan Brand Classic.
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 4
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)