Feb 24, 2013, 1:24 AM EDT
Five Biggest Winners:
- Kentucky: Quite a turnaround from last Saturday, eh? The Wildcats knocked off Missouri in overtime on Gameday, picking up their best win of the season and, thanks to Ole Miss losing to South Carolina, giving them their only top 50 win. Missouri struggles on the road, but those neutral court wins over VCU and Illinois sure look good right now. Kentucky is anything but a lock for a bid, there’s now a chance they can sneak in without beating Florida. Perhaps more important is the fact that Alex Poythress and Archie Goodwin finally showed up. UK is trending the right direction. Finally.
- North Carolina: You can more or less take everything I just wrote about Kentucky and say the same thing about UNC, with the only difference being that they knocked off NC State, they may not have to beat Duke now, and it’s their four-guard lineup that’s playing well.
- St. Mary’s: The Gaels picked up a massive win on Saturday, as they knocked off floundering Creighton at home. St. Mary’s still has some work to do if they want a realistic shot at getting an at-large bid — this was, after all, their first top 50 win — but if they lose in the WCC title game, there’s still hope.
- Villanova: At this point, Villanova should be able to feel pretty safe about getting an at-large bid, as there aren’t many teams in the country that can boast a trio of wins like Louisville, Syracuse and Marquette, not to mention a victory at UConn. Jay Wright’s club knocked off the Golden Eagles on Saturday afternoon behind 22 points from Darrun Hilliard.
- Cal: Thank you, Olaf Schaftenaar. The Oregon State forward was whistled for a technical foul for dunking in warmups, allowing Allen Crabbe to get to the free throw line before the clock started. He made one. Cal won by one.
Seven Biggest Losers:
- Creighton: It still may be a bit of a stretch, but Creighton is toying with the possibility of being on the wrong side of the bubble. They’ve lost six of 11 and four of their last six. They are a game behind Wichita State in the MVC standings thanks to losses against Drake, Illinois State, and Northern Iowa. With a trip to Bradley and a home game against Wichita State left on their schedule, there’s no guarantee that the Bluejays win their last two. Creighton does have a win over Wisconsin and they did beat Cal, which looks better by the day, but they are playing with fire.
- Southern Miss: The Golden Eagles likely won’t be getting an at-large bid this season, as Memphis completed their sweep and clinched the Conference USA regular season title with an 89-73 win in Memphis.
- Alabama: The Crimson Tide may have a gaudy SEC record, but they’ve collected too many ugly losses to warrant serious consideration for an at-large berth. On Saturday, it was a three-overtime debacle they dropped at LSU. It’s their fifth sub-100 loss this season. It’s looking like 2011 all over again, when the Tide went 12-4 in the SEC and missed the tournament.
- Xavier: Xavier blew a golden opportunity to boost their tournament resume as they blew a 17 point lead in the span of about five minutes on Saturday afternoon against VCU.
- Iowa: Iowa had just managed to crawl their way back into the bubble conversation when they blew a 19 point lead and lost to Nebraska on Saturday.
- Baylor: The Bears have lost three straight and six of their last eight to fall to 16-11 overall and 7-7 in the Big 12. The good news? They’ll still have a chance to pick off Kansas State and Kansas at home.
- Arizona State: The Sun Devils suffered a loss they could ill-afford, as Washington went into Tempe and left with a 68-59 win. The worse news? Their last three games are on the road: at USC, at UCLA and at Arizona.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Jul 24, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
Mostella has travelled a long road to get to Knoxville.
Jul 24, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Austin has found a landing place, but it’s still a long way from the Division I ranks.
Jul 24, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
Three true road games and a visit from the reigning champs?
Jul 24, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT
Thon Maker is a top five recruit in 2016 and would be a top two or three recruit in 2015.
Jul 24, 2014, 1:53 PM EDT
Hoiberg had surgery to replace his pacemaker last week.
Jul 24, 2014, 12:21 PM EDT
The events will be played in November and December
Jul 24, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT
Mykhailiuk is playing in the B Division of the event.
Jul 24, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
The final open period has begun, with Corey Sanders and Jalen Brunson among the standouts.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:59 PM EDT
Perry’s been at USC Upstate since 2009, and among the players he’s helped recruit was former great Torrey Craig.
Jul 23, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
Brown averaged 5.5 points per game and made 13 starts in 35 appearances for the Ragin’ Cajuns.
Jul 23, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Lindsay played his freshman season at Kansas
Jul 23, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Beasley has been one of the nations top performers over the last three months
Jul 23, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
Thomas is a bulldozer on the block.
Jul 23, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
It’s the latest in a long line of bourbon bottles commemorating celebrities in the state.
Jul 23, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
Rick vs. Richard could get awkward for the rest of the family
Jul 23, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT
Will this be enough for Charleston to finally get rid of their embattled head coach?
Jul 23, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
Blakeney is now on the radar of programs like Kentucky and Louisville.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Iowa State repainted their court.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT
The College of Charleston Board of Trustees meets on Wednesday.
Jul 22, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
The transfer forward will miss the first nine games of the season.
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Missouri State’s Marcus Marshall works to strengthen knee, leadership abilities (2)