Feb 25, 2013, 1:20 PM EDT
For the fourth straight week, Indiana claims the No. 1 rankings in the AP poll, and this time there was little debate about whether or not they earned it.
The Hoosiers had 64 of the 65 first-place votes in the latest AP poll. Gonzaga got the other first place vote and sits at No. 2 in the latest poll. In the USA Today Coaches poll, Indiana received 28 of the 31 first place votes, with Gonzaga receiving the other three. That No. 2 ranking is the highest in the history of the Bulldog program.
(CLICK HERE to see both polls in their entirety)
The only real issue I have with either poll is that Michigan State has dropped so far.
I’ll never understand why voters feel that losing games on the road is such a negative. The road is not an easy place to get a win in league play, particularly in the Big Ten. Michigan State lost at No. 15 Ohio State, which came on the heels of a loss to the No. 1 team in the country, Indiana. Both were games that were within a single possession in the final minutes. I understand that the issues that Keith Appling has had can be a concern, but he’s been inconsistent all season long. It’s part of who Michigan State is.
Another interesting ranking this week: New Mexico. They went into Moby Arena and ended Colorado State’s 27-game winning streak in that building — which was the third-longest in the country at that time — and only managed to creep up a couple of spots to 14th.
Ah, basketball polls.
It’s great that polls don’t have any influence on the outcomes in our sport, isn’t it?
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)