Feb 25, 2013, 10:53 AM EST
Aquille Carr may only be a 19-year old high school senior, but he’s already a legend, both on the internet and in the city of Baltimore.
That’s what happens when you’re all of 5-foot-6 and do things like this:
The problem, however, is that while Carr’s highlights are ridiculous, watching him play in person is a different story. He takes a ridiculous amount of chances on risky plays and commits a ton of turnovers. You’re delusional if you think every possession in which he has the ball in his hands ends up being a play that could make the And-1 Mixtape.
Throw in the face that he’s small, and there are doubts as to how effective he would be at the collegiate level. Once a borderline top 50 recruit, Carr no longer makes those lists. Perhaps this is why:
“Seton Hall is still my choice right now,” [Carr] said of the school to which he committed orally last year. “But I’m thinking about a lot more stuff that I could advance to. I think I’m ready to make it like my job. If you know about basketball, you know what that means. By the end of the season, everybody will find out.”
There were rumors two summers ago that Carr had received an offer of $750,000 — after his sophomore year! — to head over to Italy to play for the same team that Brandon Jennings played for, but those were seemingly nothing more than rumors.
But that quote from Carr doesn’t seem like it’s more of the same posturing when taken in context with what Steve Politi wrote this morning:
If star recruit Aquille Carr, who nobody in college basketball seems to think will ever step foot in South Orange, qualifies; […]
Carr is 19 years old an a high school senior. He already has a kid and was arrested over the summer for assaulting the child’s mother. He’s got all kinds of academic issues that no one expects will get cleared up. And he’s apparently making it clear that he wants to basketball “like my job”.
I wouldn’t count on him making it to Seton Hall.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Bubble Banter: St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 11 Wichita State, No. 19 Baylor among winners in games matching ranked teams 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)