Feb 25, 2013, 10:53 AM EDT
Aquille Carr may only be a 19-year old high school senior, but he’s already a legend, both on the internet and in the city of Baltimore.
That’s what happens when you’re all of 5-foot-6 and do things like this:
The problem, however, is that while Carr’s highlights are ridiculous, watching him play in person is a different story. He takes a ridiculous amount of chances on risky plays and commits a ton of turnovers. You’re delusional if you think every possession in which he has the ball in his hands ends up being a play that could make the And-1 Mixtape.
Throw in the face that he’s small, and there are doubts as to how effective he would be at the collegiate level. Once a borderline top 50 recruit, Carr no longer makes those lists. Perhaps this is why:
“Seton Hall is still my choice right now,” [Carr] said of the school to which he committed orally last year. “But I’m thinking about a lot more stuff that I could advance to. I think I’m ready to make it like my job. If you know about basketball, you know what that means. By the end of the season, everybody will find out.”
There were rumors two summers ago that Carr had received an offer of $750,000 — after his sophomore year! — to head over to Italy to play for the same team that Brandon Jennings played for, but those were seemingly nothing more than rumors.
But that quote from Carr doesn’t seem like it’s more of the same posturing when taken in context with what Steve Politi wrote this morning:
If star recruit Aquille Carr, who nobody in college basketball seems to think will ever step foot in South Orange, qualifies; [...]
Carr is 19 years old an a high school senior. He already has a kid and was arrested over the summer for assaulting the child’s mother. He’s got all kinds of academic issues that no one expects will get cleared up. And he’s apparently making it clear that he wants to basketball “like my job”.
I wouldn’t count on him making it to Seton Hall.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 0
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 1
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games