Feb 25, 2013, 10:53 AM EDT
Aquille Carr may only be a 19-year old high school senior, but he’s already a legend, both on the internet and in the city of Baltimore.
That’s what happens when you’re all of 5-foot-6 and do things like this:
The problem, however, is that while Carr’s highlights are ridiculous, watching him play in person is a different story. He takes a ridiculous amount of chances on risky plays and commits a ton of turnovers. You’re delusional if you think every possession in which he has the ball in his hands ends up being a play that could make the And-1 Mixtape.
Throw in the face that he’s small, and there are doubts as to how effective he would be at the collegiate level. Once a borderline top 50 recruit, Carr no longer makes those lists. Perhaps this is why:
“Seton Hall is still my choice right now,” [Carr] said of the school to which he committed orally last year. “But I’m thinking about a lot more stuff that I could advance to. I think I’m ready to make it like my job. If you know about basketball, you know what that means. By the end of the season, everybody will find out.”
There were rumors two summers ago that Carr had received an offer of $750,000 — after his sophomore year! — to head over to Italy to play for the same team that Brandon Jennings played for, but those were seemingly nothing more than rumors.
But that quote from Carr doesn’t seem like it’s more of the same posturing when taken in context with what Steve Politi wrote this morning:
If star recruit Aquille Carr, who nobody in college basketball seems to think will ever step foot in South Orange, qualifies; […]
Carr is 19 years old an a high school senior. He already has a kid and was arrested over the summer for assaulting the child’s mother. He’s got all kinds of academic issues that no one expects will get cleared up. And he’s apparently making it clear that he wants to basketball “like my job”.
I wouldn’t count on him making it to Seton Hall.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)