Feb 25, 2013, 10:53 AM EDT
Aquille Carr may only be a 19-year old high school senior, but he’s already a legend, both on the internet and in the city of Baltimore.
That’s what happens when you’re all of 5-foot-6 and do things like this:
The problem, however, is that while Carr’s highlights are ridiculous, watching him play in person is a different story. He takes a ridiculous amount of chances on risky plays and commits a ton of turnovers. You’re delusional if you think every possession in which he has the ball in his hands ends up being a play that could make the And-1 Mixtape.
Throw in the face that he’s small, and there are doubts as to how effective he would be at the collegiate level. Once a borderline top 50 recruit, Carr no longer makes those lists. Perhaps this is why:
“Seton Hall is still my choice right now,” [Carr] said of the school to which he committed orally last year. “But I’m thinking about a lot more stuff that I could advance to. I think I’m ready to make it like my job. If you know about basketball, you know what that means. By the end of the season, everybody will find out.”
There were rumors two summers ago that Carr had received an offer of $750,000 — after his sophomore year! — to head over to Italy to play for the same team that Brandon Jennings played for, but those were seemingly nothing more than rumors.
But that quote from Carr doesn’t seem like it’s more of the same posturing when taken in context with what Steve Politi wrote this morning:
If star recruit Aquille Carr, who nobody in college basketball seems to think will ever step foot in South Orange, qualifies; [...]
Carr is 19 years old an a high school senior. He already has a kid and was arrested over the summer for assaulting the child’s mother. He’s got all kinds of academic issues that no one expects will get cleared up. And he’s apparently making it clear that he wants to basketball “like my job”.
I wouldn’t count on him making it to Seton Hall.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)