Feb 25, 2013, 2:21 PM EST
Game of the Night: No. 12 Syracuse at No. 22 Marquette (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
Thanks to a Syracuse loss to Georgetown and Marquette succumbing at Villanova, this game lost a bit of its luster. It’s no longer for first place in the Big East. That said, it is still a crucial game in the Big East standings. Louisville, Marquette and Syracuse are in a three-way tie for second in the league right now. A loss would drop either the Golden Eagles or the Orange into a tie with Notre Dame for fourth place. The top four teams get a double-bye in the Big East tournament.
Syracuse should have an advantage in this game. DaJuan Coleman is expected to be back in the lineup tonight, and Marquette’s weakness this season is their ability to shoot from the perimeter. Good luck trying to penetrate that Syracuse zone and finish around the basket without having the threat of the three-ball as a deterrent.
More than anything, this is a statement game that both teams need. Losing two in a row at this point in the season is concerning with March right around the corner.
Who’s Getting Upset?: No. 6 Kansas at Iowa State (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
This isn’t too difficult to figure out. Iowa State nearly knocked off Kansas in Lawrence earlier this season, and they’ll be getting their rematch in Hilton Coliseum, which is as tough a place to win as there is in the Big 12.
But there’s more to it than that. The Cyclones happen to match up really well with Kansas. Fred Hoiberg has a group of bigs that can step out on the perimeter and shoot, meaning that they are able to pull Jeff Withey away from the basket. That not only opens up lanes of penetration, but by screening actions, it creates open looks for the myriad of three-point shooters that ISU has.
Five Things to Watch For
1) Villanova is on the road against Seton Hall tonight. The Wildcats can all-but lock up a big to the NCAA tournament by knocking off the Pirates. (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
2) No. 13 Kansas State will be hosting Texas Tech, a game the Wildcats should cruise in. (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
3) Bryant and Sacred Heart had a league game from a month ago postponed due to Nemo. At the time the game was supposed to be played, SHU was threatening to make a run in the NEC. They’ve now lost four straight and are under .500 in conference play. (7:00 p.m. ET)
4) Grambling visits Mississippi Valley State tonight. MVSU has just four wins on the season. Grambling is still winless. This may be their best chance. (8:30 p.m. ET)
5) Central Connecticut is the only team in the country that has had two different players score 40 points in a game this season. The Blue Devils head to Quinnipiac for an intra-state battle tonight. (7:00 p.m. ET)
- No. 6 Kansas at Iowa State (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
- No. 12 Syracuse at No. 22 Marquette (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
- Texas Tech at No. 13 Kansas State (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Nov 23, 2014, 3:56 AM EST
Concerns about Cook moving off the ball seem foolish through five games.
Nov 23, 2014, 2:00 AM EST
No. 21 Nebraska was the lone ranked team to fall on Saturday, but give them credit for being willing to go on the road to play a dangerous opponent.
Nov 23, 2014, 12:05 AM EST
Devin Davis has been rehabbing from injuries suffered on November 1 in his hometown of Indianapolis.
Nov 22, 2014, 11:33 PM EST
Most people already knew that Winslow’s a high-level athlete. Here’s some evidence for those who somehow didn’t.
Nov 22, 2014, 11:22 PM EST
Before their game against No. 21 Nebraska, Rhode Island took the floor in shirts honoring Avery Harriman.
Nov 22, 2014, 9:44 PM EST
Florida faces Georgetown in the opening round of the Battle 4 Atlantis Wednesday.
Nov 22, 2014, 9:37 PM EST
The score was tied 41-41 with six minutes to go. Rams and Cornhuskers traded the lead five times after that.
Nov 22, 2014, 8:06 PM EST
Wyoming may have scored just 56 points, but all 22 of their made field goals were assisted and they shot nearly 53 percent from the field.
Nov 22, 2014, 6:17 PM EST
Boutte’s shot came seconds after he corralled a wayward pass from teammate Marcellus Barksdale.
Nov 22, 2014, 5:43 PM EST
Eustachy led the Rams to a school-record 26 wins in 2012-13.
Nov 22, 2014, 4:58 PM EST
Meeks accounted for two double-doubles all season in 2013-14. He’s now matched that total through three games.
Nov 22, 2014, 4:46 PM EST
Providence jumped out to a quick 9-0 lead and cruised to an easy win over Florida State.
Nov 22, 2014, 2:30 PM EST
Notre Dame guards Demetrius Jackson and Jerian Grant played well to help lead the Irish to victory.
Nov 22, 2014, 1:40 PM EST
The 2015 CBE Classic will have a local flavor.
Nov 22, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
Ball State will be without a key piece for the immediate future.
Nov 22, 2014, 11:30 AM EST
Florida will be without a key guard for at least a few games.
Nov 22, 2014, 10:30 AM EST
More depth is coming for the Aggies.
Nov 22, 2014, 9:30 AM EST
A solid Saturday slate features multiple ranked teams in action.
Nov 22, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
A tremendous story continues to get better as Lauren Hill surprised teammates and fans by checking into her second college basketball game and scoring again on Friday night.
Nov 22, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
Cornell shouldn’t have given D.J. Newbill a chance.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)