Feb 25, 2013, 2:21 PM EDT
Game of the Night: No. 12 Syracuse at No. 22 Marquette (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
Thanks to a Syracuse loss to Georgetown and Marquette succumbing at Villanova, this game lost a bit of its luster. It’s no longer for first place in the Big East. That said, it is still a crucial game in the Big East standings. Louisville, Marquette and Syracuse are in a three-way tie for second in the league right now. A loss would drop either the Golden Eagles or the Orange into a tie with Notre Dame for fourth place. The top four teams get a double-bye in the Big East tournament.
Syracuse should have an advantage in this game. DaJuan Coleman is expected to be back in the lineup tonight, and Marquette’s weakness this season is their ability to shoot from the perimeter. Good luck trying to penetrate that Syracuse zone and finish around the basket without having the threat of the three-ball as a deterrent.
More than anything, this is a statement game that both teams need. Losing two in a row at this point in the season is concerning with March right around the corner.
Who’s Getting Upset?: No. 6 Kansas at Iowa State (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
This isn’t too difficult to figure out. Iowa State nearly knocked off Kansas in Lawrence earlier this season, and they’ll be getting their rematch in Hilton Coliseum, which is as tough a place to win as there is in the Big 12.
But there’s more to it than that. The Cyclones happen to match up really well with Kansas. Fred Hoiberg has a group of bigs that can step out on the perimeter and shoot, meaning that they are able to pull Jeff Withey away from the basket. That not only opens up lanes of penetration, but by screening actions, it creates open looks for the myriad of three-point shooters that ISU has.
Five Things to Watch For
1) Villanova is on the road against Seton Hall tonight. The Wildcats can all-but lock up a big to the NCAA tournament by knocking off the Pirates. (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
2) No. 13 Kansas State will be hosting Texas Tech, a game the Wildcats should cruise in. (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
3) Bryant and Sacred Heart had a league game from a month ago postponed due to Nemo. At the time the game was supposed to be played, SHU was threatening to make a run in the NEC. They’ve now lost four straight and are under .500 in conference play. (7:00 p.m. ET)
4) Grambling visits Mississippi Valley State tonight. MVSU has just four wins on the season. Grambling is still winless. This may be their best chance. (8:30 p.m. ET)
5) Central Connecticut is the only team in the country that has had two different players score 40 points in a game this season. The Blue Devils head to Quinnipiac for an intra-state battle tonight. (7:00 p.m. ET)
- No. 6 Kansas at Iowa State (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
- No. 12 Syracuse at No. 22 Marquette (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
- Texas Tech at No. 13 Kansas State (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:06 AM EDT
Syracuse’s men’s basketball and football programs are under investigation, with the stakes being higher for Jim Boeheim’s program.
Oct 23, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT
Joshua Smith averaged 11.5 points per game before being ruled academically ineligible last season.
Oct 23, 2014, 10:49 PM EDT
Cam Payne became the star of Murray State as a freshman, but he wouldn’t have gotten there if he had a back up. Why?
Oct 23, 2014, 9:53 PM EDT
The preseason favorites to win the Atlantic 10 added a new teammate Thursday.
Oct 23, 2014, 8:03 PM EDT
Shawn Lester averaged 11.9 points and 4.2 rebounds per game in the sixth man role last season.
Oct 23, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
Hallice Cooke will have one hip operated on Monday, with the second surgery coming four weeks later.
Oct 23, 2014, 5:41 PM EDT
Christian James joins Rashard Odomes and Akolda Manyang in Oklahoma’s 2015 haul.
Oct 23, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
The OVC looks like a three-team race this season.
Oct 23, 2014, 1:57 PM EDT
Nice work editing in the music.
Oct 23, 2014, 1:38 PM EDT
Who are the top 20 perimeters in the country this season?
Oct 23, 2014, 12:04 PM EDT
This scandal will be a stain on North Carolina’s sports and academic programs for a long time.
Oct 23, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
This is about as embarrassing as being POSTERIZED can get.
Oct 23, 2014, 9:59 AM EDT
The Shockers went to the Final Four in 2013 and undefeated in 2014. What is next for them?
Oct 22, 2014, 10:46 PM EDT
Cody Larson was South Dakotas Next Big Thing. He returned in infamy, but that has not stopped him from succeeding.
Oct 22, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
Wisconsin held its third annual “Shooting Down Cancer” event Wednesday, with their goal being to #MakeBoPay.
Oct 22, 2014, 9:13 PM EDT
Austin Nichols is the reigning American Athletic Conference ROY, and sophomore Avery Woodson is expected to compete for minutes in a crowded by inexperienced backcourt.
Oct 22, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
Cezar Guerrero knocked down five straight from half-court during the team’s Red and White Hoops Night event Tuesday.
Oct 22, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT
Oregon didn’t have much depth to begin with due to various personnel issues, so Michael Chandler’s lingering knee problem is a major concern.
Oct 22, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
People don’t come more intense than Bruce Pearl.
Oct 22, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT
Given SMU’s depth on the perimeter, LaGerald Vick’s decision to move back in classes will help both parties in the future.
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 2
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 7
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)