Feb 26, 2013, 10:18 PM EDT
A charter bus reportedly carrying members of the Maine women’s basketball team was involved in a serious crash along Interstate 95 in Georgetown, Mass., NBC affiliate WHDH in Boston is reporting.
Massachusetts State Police said preliminary investigations suggest the charter bus was driving southbound when it crossed the median and crashed into woods adjacent to northbound side. State police said 22 students believed to be from University of Maine basketball teams have been transported by ambulance to area hospitals for either minor injuries or precautionary evaluation.
According to the report, the driver of the vehicle suffered serious but non-life threatening injuries and was airlifted to Boston Medical Center after being pulled from the wreckage. A police cruiser was struck by another vehicle while leaving the scene, but the driver was reportedly not seriously injured.
Updates will be added as they become available.
UPDATE 26 February, 2013, 10:39 p.m. ET
According to Andrew Santillo of The Record in Troy, N.Y., an America East spokesperson said that “all players are coaches are okay,” and only suffered “minor injuries.”
Photo via WHDH
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 1
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 4
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (14)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy