Feb 26, 2013, 10:18 PM EST
A charter bus reportedly carrying members of the Maine women’s basketball team was involved in a serious crash along Interstate 95 in Georgetown, Mass., NBC affiliate WHDH in Boston is reporting.
Massachusetts State Police said preliminary investigations suggest the charter bus was driving southbound when it crossed the median and crashed into woods adjacent to northbound side. State police said 22 students believed to be from University of Maine basketball teams have been transported by ambulance to area hospitals for either minor injuries or precautionary evaluation.
According to the report, the driver of the vehicle suffered serious but non-life threatening injuries and was airlifted to Boston Medical Center after being pulled from the wreckage. A police cruiser was struck by another vehicle while leaving the scene, but the driver was reportedly not seriously injured.
Updates will be added as they become available.
UPDATE 26 February, 2013, 10:39 p.m. ET
According to Andrew Santillo of The Record in Troy, N.Y., an America East spokesperson said that “all players are coaches are okay,” and only suffered “minor injuries.”
Photo via WHDH
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 2
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)