Feb 26, 2013, 12:59 PM EST
UNLV has had a bit of a resurgence in the last two weeks.
Two Saturdays ago, they knocked off San Diego State at home. They followed that up with a win over Colorado State and then went into Laramie, WY, and blew out the Cowboys last Saturday.
All told, they’ve won four of their last five games, with three of those wins coming against the rest of the MWC’s top four. With SDSU having to visit New Mexico this week, the Rebels should be able to play their way into the No. 3 seed in the Mountain West tournament, meaning they avoid New Mexico until a potential matchup in the title game.
That’s a good thing for a team that has had some struggles, particularly on the road, this year.
But the concerning part of UNLV’s latest road trip had nothing to do with the outcome of the game as much as it did with Anthony Bennett.
Dave Rice’s leading scorer and rebounder, and the potential No. 1 pick in the NBA Draft this June, played all of four minutes against Wyoming because of a shoulder injury that seems to be a result of sleeping on it wrong.
“I didn’t think it was that serious until he couldn’t get a rebound,” Khem Birch said after the Wyoming game. “He couldn’t even take off his shorts in the locker room. It was really hurting him.”
Rice said he doesn’t think that the injury is that serious, and with UNLV having the week off (they don’t play until Saturday), Bennett has plenty of time to get healthy.
But if the injury is serious, the Rebels could be in trouble.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 12
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 1
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 5
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (12)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? (3)
- Burning Questions: Who gets the last shot? (3)