Feb 26, 2013, 12:59 PM EST
UNLV has had a bit of a resurgence in the last two weeks.
Two Saturdays ago, they knocked off San Diego State at home. They followed that up with a win over Colorado State and then went into Laramie, WY, and blew out the Cowboys last Saturday.
All told, they’ve won four of their last five games, with three of those wins coming against the rest of the MWC’s top four. With SDSU having to visit New Mexico this week, the Rebels should be able to play their way into the No. 3 seed in the Mountain West tournament, meaning they avoid New Mexico until a potential matchup in the title game.
That’s a good thing for a team that has had some struggles, particularly on the road, this year.
But the concerning part of UNLV’s latest road trip had nothing to do with the outcome of the game as much as it did with Anthony Bennett.
Dave Rice’s leading scorer and rebounder, and the potential No. 1 pick in the NBA Draft this June, played all of four minutes against Wyoming because of a shoulder injury that seems to be a result of sleeping on it wrong.
“I didn’t think it was that serious until he couldn’t get a rebound,” Khem Birch said after the Wyoming game. “He couldn’t even take off his shorts in the locker room. It was really hurting him.”
Rice said he doesn’t think that the injury is that serious, and with UNLV having the week off (they don’t play until Saturday), Bennett has plenty of time to get healthy.
But if the injury is serious, the Rebels could be in trouble.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)