Feb 26, 2013, 12:59 PM EDT
UNLV has had a bit of a resurgence in the last two weeks.
Two Saturdays ago, they knocked off San Diego State at home. They followed that up with a win over Colorado State and then went into Laramie, WY, and blew out the Cowboys last Saturday.
All told, they’ve won four of their last five games, with three of those wins coming against the rest of the MWC’s top four. With SDSU having to visit New Mexico this week, the Rebels should be able to play their way into the No. 3 seed in the Mountain West tournament, meaning they avoid New Mexico until a potential matchup in the title game.
That’s a good thing for a team that has had some struggles, particularly on the road, this year.
But the concerning part of UNLV’s latest road trip had nothing to do with the outcome of the game as much as it did with Anthony Bennett.
Dave Rice’s leading scorer and rebounder, and the potential No. 1 pick in the NBA Draft this June, played all of four minutes against Wyoming because of a shoulder injury that seems to be a result of sleeping on it wrong.
“I didn’t think it was that serious until he couldn’t get a rebound,” Khem Birch said after the Wyoming game. “He couldn’t even take off his shorts in the locker room. It was really hurting him.”
Rice said he doesn’t think that the injury is that serious, and with UNLV having the week off (they don’t play until Saturday), Bennett has plenty of time to get healthy.
But if the injury is serious, the Rebels could be in trouble.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 0
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- ‘Value Add’ stat projects Utah’s Delon Wright as having a historic season 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Bruce Pearl gets welcomed by Auburn team, students after NCAA show-cause ends (VIDEO) 0
- In his first day of recruiting, Bruce Pearl lands Auburn a four-star forward (3)
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)