Feb 26, 2013, 5:42 PM EDT
Oregon has been a different basketball without freshman point guard Dominic Artis the past nine games. Prone to turnovers and dropping into a tie for first in the Pac-12, the Ducks got some good news Tuesday.
After his second day of limited practice, Oregon coach Dana Altman opened up the possibility of Artis returning to the floor when the Ducks face Oregon State in the “Civil War” on Tuesday.
“It’s kind of like limiting a pitch count in baseball…If it’s hurting him we will take him out,” Altman said, according to CSNNW.com. “We could have put him in a few weeks ago but it wasn’t worth it…. He’s a player to build around.”
Regardless of whether Artis is able to go, though, Johnathan Loyd will remain in the starting lineup at the point guard spot, meaning Artis would come off the bench.
Considering Artis has been sidelined for close to a month, Altman tried to push aside doubts about how his freshman would fare once he assimilates back into the regular rotation.
“He hasn’t missed a beat. He’s been to every practice, always asking me ‘Ok,what do I do on this, that, etc.,'” said Altman. “He’s been focused the whole time, and I’m sure there will be an adjustment period…..three weeks to get blended in [before the Pac-12 Tournament].”
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 2
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 7
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)