Feb 26, 2013, 5:42 PM EDT
Oregon has been a different basketball without freshman point guard Dominic Artis the past nine games. Prone to turnovers and dropping into a tie for first in the Pac-12, the Ducks got some good news Tuesday.
After his second day of limited practice, Oregon coach Dana Altman opened up the possibility of Artis returning to the floor when the Ducks face Oregon State in the “Civil War” on Tuesday.
“It’s kind of like limiting a pitch count in baseball…If it’s hurting him we will take him out,” Altman said, according to CSNNW.com. “We could have put him in a few weeks ago but it wasn’t worth it…. He’s a player to build around.”
Regardless of whether Artis is able to go, though, Johnathan Loyd will remain in the starting lineup at the point guard spot, meaning Artis would come off the bench.
Considering Artis has been sidelined for close to a month, Altman tried to push aside doubts about how his freshman would fare once he assimilates back into the regular rotation.
“He hasn’t missed a beat. He’s been to every practice, always asking me ‘Ok,what do I do on this, that, etc.,’” said Altman. “He’s been focused the whole time, and I’m sure there will be an adjustment period…..three weeks to get blended in [before the Pac-12 Tournament].”
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 2
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle has formally declared for the NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 6
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Report: New Mexico State’s Sim Bhullar to enter 2014 NBA Draft (7)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)