Feb 26, 2013, 5:42 PM EDT
Oregon has been a different basketball without freshman point guard Dominic Artis the past nine games. Prone to turnovers and dropping into a tie for first in the Pac-12, the Ducks got some good news Tuesday.
After his second day of limited practice, Oregon coach Dana Altman opened up the possibility of Artis returning to the floor when the Ducks face Oregon State in the “Civil War” on Tuesday.
“It’s kind of like limiting a pitch count in baseball…If it’s hurting him we will take him out,” Altman said, according to CSNNW.com. “We could have put him in a few weeks ago but it wasn’t worth it…. He’s a player to build around.”
Regardless of whether Artis is able to go, though, Johnathan Loyd will remain in the starting lineup at the point guard spot, meaning Artis would come off the bench.
Considering Artis has been sidelined for close to a month, Altman tried to push aside doubts about how his freshman would fare once he assimilates back into the regular rotation.
“He hasn’t missed a beat. He’s been to every practice, always asking me ‘Ok,what do I do on this, that, etc.,'” said Altman. “He’s been focused the whole time, and I’m sure there will be an adjustment period…..three weeks to get blended in [before the Pac-12 Tournament].”
- John Calipari: ‘If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO’ 1
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 8
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 5
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 4
- Five-star wing Jaylen Brown commits to California 0
- With Billy Donovan headed to Oklahoma City, where does this leave Florida? 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique 12
- 2015 College Basketball Early Entry List (14)
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- How concerned should North Carolina fans be that Brandon Ingram passed on the Tar Heels? (11)
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? (11)
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 (8)