Feb 26, 2013, 2:26 PM EST
Game of the Night: No. 19 Memphis at Xavier (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN2)
Xavier is in a tough situation here. They desperately need to pick up this win if they are going to have any chance of making the NCAA tournament as an at-large bid, especially after blowing a 17 point second half lead against VCU on Saturday.
The problem, however, is that Memphis isn’t exactly safe as an at-large bid, either. Yes, they have a 24-3 record and have won a billion games in a row, but look at who they’ve beaten this season: Southern Miss and … Southern Miss again. Tennessee is the only other team the Tigers have beaten that sits in the top 70, although feasting on the likes of Ohio, Harvard, and East Carolina has netted them a grand total of nine top 100 wins.
A couple of losses down the stretch could hurt the Tigers. Given that it’s been a while since Memphis has been on national TV, this is an opportunity that the Tigers need to capitalize on. Like it or not, there is always going to be an “eye test” influence, a human element, in tournament selections. Make a statement, feel a bit more comfortable with were you’ll end up being seeded.
Who’s Getting Upset?: No. 1 Indiana at Minnesota (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
Minnesota is reeling. They lost two in a row last week (both games by more than 20), four of their last five and eight of their last 11. All of a sudden, this looks like a team that may be playing their way off the bubble. Tubby Smith’s job is in jeopardy. It’s difficult to stress just how important this game is for the Gophers. They won’t have another shot at a marquee win. I don’t think it’s an exaggeration to say that their season is on the line tonight.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Night: Towson at George Mason (7:00 p.m. ET, CSN)
This should be a fun game in Fairfax tonight, as the Tigers and the Patriots are two of the more talented teams in the CAA. Towson is tied for second with Delaware, sitting a game in front of GMU in the CAA standings.
Five Things to Watch For
1) Alabama lost in triple-overtime to LSU on Saturday, which was yet another in a string of bad losses for the Crimson Tide this season. Combine that with a really week league schedule, and Anthony Grant’s club is in a ways from being in the NCAA tournament. Losing to in-state rival Auburn tonight could kill those hopes. (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
2) Valpo currently holds a one game lead on Detroit in the Horizon League standings with just two games left to play. The Crusaders can clinch a share of the league title tonight against Youngstown State.
3) Tennessee has slowly but surely started to gain some momentum late in the year, winning their last five games. They have a lot of work to do to get into the conversation for an at-large bid, but knocking off No. 8 Florida at home would be a good start. (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
4) No. 17 Wisconsin hosts Nebraska. There may not be 80 points total scored in this one. Be sure to check the box score tomorrow. (9:00 p.m. ET, Big Ten Network)
5) Wake Forest scored a huge upset on Saturday as they knocked off No. 3 Miami in Winston-Salem. The Demon Deacons have been good at home this year. Can they pull off a road win against Florida State? A strong finish to the season may be what it takes to save Jeff Bzdelik’s job. (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
- No. 1 Indiana at Minnesota (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
- No. 8 Florida at Tennessee (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
- Nebraska at No. 17 Wisconsin (9:00 p.m. ET, Big Ten Network)
- No. 19 Memphis at Xavier (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN2)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)