Feb 26, 2013, 9:46 AM EST
Villanova knocked off No. 22 Marquette on Saturday, their third marquee win of the season — they beat Syracuse and Louisville in back-t0-back games earlier this season — and one that seemingly put them onto the right side of the bubble.
So long as they could avoid slipping up against Seton Hall, a team that hadn’t won a game in 33 days, on Monday night.
And, well, it turns out that may have been too much to ask:
The Wildcats ended up losing to the Pirates 66-65 thanks to that last second three-pointer from Fuquan Edwin, and while it’s far from a devastating blow to their tournament hopes — as of this morning, Dave Ommen still had the Wildcats in our latest bracket — it puts Villanova into a tough situation.
For starters, their last two games are at Pitt and at home against Georgetown. Those won’t be easy games, and a loss will result in Villanova finishing out the season at 9-9 in the Big East and 18-13 overall. That would likely put them into 8-9 game or the 7-10 game in the Big East tournament with someone like Cincinnati or St. John’s. If they can win their first round game, they’ll advance to take on one of the top two seeds in the Big East in must-win game for their tournament hopes.
With losses to Columbia, Alabama, Seton Hall and a sweep at the hands of Providence, Villanova has one of the strangest resumes in the country. It’s tough to imagine, but in a year where St. Mary’s may be able to sneak into the Big Dance with their best win being against a Creighton team that has fallen off the map, Villanova could end up being left out of the tournament despite beating three of the top four teams in the Big East.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 0
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (12)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)