Feb 26, 2013, 9:46 AM EST
Villanova knocked off No. 22 Marquette on Saturday, their third marquee win of the season — they beat Syracuse and Louisville in back-t0-back games earlier this season — and one that seemingly put them onto the right side of the bubble.
So long as they could avoid slipping up against Seton Hall, a team that hadn’t won a game in 33 days, on Monday night.
And, well, it turns out that may have been too much to ask:
The Wildcats ended up losing to the Pirates 66-65 thanks to that last second three-pointer from Fuquan Edwin, and while it’s far from a devastating blow to their tournament hopes — as of this morning, Dave Ommen still had the Wildcats in our latest bracket — it puts Villanova into a tough situation.
For starters, their last two games are at Pitt and at home against Georgetown. Those won’t be easy games, and a loss will result in Villanova finishing out the season at 9-9 in the Big East and 18-13 overall. That would likely put them into 8-9 game or the 7-10 game in the Big East tournament with someone like Cincinnati or St. John’s. If they can win their first round game, they’ll advance to take on one of the top two seeds in the Big East in must-win game for their tournament hopes.
With losses to Columbia, Alabama, Seton Hall and a sweep at the hands of Providence, Villanova has one of the strangest resumes in the country. It’s tough to imagine, but in a year where St. Mary’s may be able to sneak into the Big Dance with their best win being against a Creighton team that has fallen off the map, Villanova could end up being left out of the tournament despite beating three of the top four teams in the Big East.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- New Year’s Resolutions: Illinois Fighting Illini 0
- NBCSports.com Midseason All-American Team 0
- Kentucky still has one more major test to pass this season and it might not come against Louisville 2
- Tracking The Unbeatens: The showdown between Kentucky, Louisville looms 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Ohio State Buckeyes 0
- Weekly Awards: Marquette’s new addition, a shakeup in Pac-12’s power structure ? 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top 25: Virginia moves up, three teams drop out 1
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (3)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (3)