Feb 27, 2013, 1:08 PM EST
For the first couple of months of the season, Oregon looked like the best team in the Pac-12 and, potentially, one of the best teams in the country.
They were 17-2 on the season and held wins over both UCLA and Arizona in league play while also knocking off UNLV in Vegas.
But then starting point guard Dominic Artis injured his foot, which has kept him out of the lineup for the past month. The Ducks have fallen back to earth without Artis, losing three in a row and four out of seven at one point. They didn’t come completely unglued, thanks in large to the rapid improvement that Johnathan Loyd showed as Artis’ replacement at the point.
Loyd wasn’t blowing anyone away, but he turned into a serviceable point guard that allowed Oregon to hold on to a share of the Pac-12 lead without Artis in the lineup.
The good news? Artis should be returning for the Ducks this week:
Point guard Dominic Artis will play limited minutes against the OSU Beavers on Thursday night at Matt Arena. He has been sidelined with an undisclosed foot injury for over a month and Coach Altman said today that he could’ve returned earlier but they want to take it slow with him. They’ll have him on a minute limit and may reduce it based on how he feels.
Jonathon Loyd will start. Oregon’s goal is to have Artis back at full strength when conference tourney play starts in 2 1/2 weeks in Las Vegas.
Artis is one of Oregon’s best perimeter shooters and their most dynamic creator off the bounce. For a team that has issues scoring — not to mention a pesky turnover problem — getting Artis back, even if it is on a limited basis at first, is big news.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Nov 22, 2014, 8:06 PM EST
Wyoming may have scored just 56 points, but all 22 of their made field goals were assisted and they shot nearly 53 percent from the field.
Nov 22, 2014, 6:17 PM EST
Boutte’s shot came seconds after he corralled a wayward pass from teammate Marcellus Barksdale.
Nov 22, 2014, 5:43 PM EST
Eustachy led the Rams to a school-record 26 wins in 2012-13.
Nov 22, 2014, 4:58 PM EST
Meeks accounted for two double-doubles all season in 2013-14. He’s now matched that total through three games.
Nov 22, 2014, 4:46 PM EST
Providence jumped out to a quick 9-0 lead and cruised to an easy win over Florida State.
Nov 22, 2014, 2:30 PM EST
Notre Dame guards Demetrius Jackson and Jerian Grant played well to help lead the Irish to victory.
Nov 22, 2014, 1:40 PM EST
The 2015 CBE Classic will have a local flavor.
Nov 22, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
Ball State will be without a key piece for the immediate future.
Nov 22, 2014, 11:30 AM EST
Florida will be without a key guard for at least a few games.
Nov 22, 2014, 10:30 AM EST
More depth is coming for the Aggies.
Nov 22, 2014, 9:30 AM EST
A solid Saturday slate features multiple ranked teams in action.
Nov 22, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
A tremendous story continues to get better as Lauren Hill surprised teammates and fans by checking into her second college basketball game and scoring again on Friday night.
Nov 22, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
Cornell shouldn’t have given D.J. Newbill a chance.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:55 PM EST
Here is everything you need to know from Friday night hoops.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:45 PM EST
Florida nearly coughed up another win on Friday.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:05 PM EST
Like the rest of the 2011 recruiting class, Jonathan Holmes could have left Texas. Instead he made the decision to stay, and he and the Longhorns are better because of it.
Nov 21, 2014, 9:17 PM EST
Justin Anderson led all scorers with 18.
Nov 21, 2014, 8:48 PM EST
Syracuse is in this position because Tyler Ennis turned out to be better than anyone expected.
Nov 21, 2014, 8:00 PM EST
Isaiah Taylor injured his left wrist on a hard fall with just over two minutes remaining in Texas’ win over Iowa Thursday night.
Nov 21, 2014, 7:52 PM EST
The Mountaineers and Huskies will meet on Sunday.
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (30)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)