Feb 27, 2013, 4:41 PM EST
Maryland freshman Seth Allen scored 16 points in the Terrapins’ 83-81 upset of No. 2 Duke on Feb. 16. Looking back, though, that game very well could have never happened for the Virginia native.
Allen, who is averaging 7.6 points and 2.4 assists per game in his first season in College Park, was involved in a gruesome bicycle accident in 2007 that left him with two plates and 24 screws in his left elbow. According to a story in Tuesday’s Baltimore Sun, Allen hit a rough patch on his 10-speed bike and lost control. He tried to brace him self for the fall and is now left with a seven-inch scar after the surgery.
“My handlebars turned and my arm got caught up, and it snapped my arm and broke it,” Allen told the paper. “And then I fell on it, and the thing that holds the elbow together shattered.”
“The doctor said his elbow had to be pieced back together like a jigsaw puzzle, and they didn’t think he would have full use of his arm,” Allen’s mother, Deborah, said. “The physical therapist would come in three to five times a day and move his arm so that scar tissue would not move in, and he would just scream. I think that was the hardest thing we ever went through.”
Now having made a full recovery, Allen is an integral part of Maryland’s rotation with just under 22 minutes per game. His Terrapins are fighting an uphill battle to make the NCAA tournament and must get a road win Wednesday over Georgia Tech to keep their hopes alive.
For a preview of Georgia Tech-Maryland from CSNWashington.com, click here.
Jan 29, 2015, 4:42 PM EST
Rasheed Sulaimon played 12 minutes in the Blue Devils’ loss at No. 8 Notre Dame Wednesday night.
Jan 29, 2015, 4:15 PM EST
The Eastern Washington guard has received more attention nationally in recent weeks, and it’s well-deserved.
Jan 29, 2015, 3:28 PM EST
At the very least, he’s the most valuable player in the country.
Jan 29, 2015, 2:30 PM EST
Donnie Tyndall’s trail of destruction in Hattiesburg continues to grow.
Jan 29, 2015, 1:09 PM EST
Melo Trimble vs. D’Angelo Russell will be worth the two hours.
Jan 29, 2015, 11:49 AM EST
That hashtag, though.
Jan 29, 2015, 11:14 AM EST
It looks like T.J.’s got jokes.
Jan 29, 2015, 10:04 AM EST
Cottrill was once ranked above Shabazz Napier and Aaron Craft, among many others.
Jan 29, 2015, 9:08 AM EST
Rysheed Jordan averages 13.4 points.
Jan 29, 2015, 12:14 AM EST
I love this move.
Jan 28, 2015, 11:24 PM EST
Rhode Island moved to 14-5 overall and 6-2 in Atlantic 10 play with the win over Fordham.
Jan 28, 2015, 10:52 PM EST
The Huskies will be short one perimeter option when they take on Cincinnati Thursday night.
Jan 28, 2015, 9:56 PM EST
Jerian Grant was the headliner for the Fighting Irish, but he had plenty of help as they erased a ten-point second half deficit.
Jan 28, 2015, 9:37 PM EST
The night is only getting started.
Jan 28, 2015, 6:25 PM EST
Nine uncommitted players, with Duke and (get this) LSU leading the way with two each.
Jan 28, 2015, 5:54 PM EST
The year of Maryland’s lone national title (2002) and the program’s former home can be seen in the graphics on this special shoe.
Jan 28, 2015, 3:00 PM EST
Johnson was considering some other high major programs.
Jan 28, 2015, 1:27 PM EST
Can you guess who those two are?
Jan 28, 2015, 12:39 PM EST
Travis is a key piece for the Cardinal front court.
Jan 28, 2015, 11:17 AM EST
A thrilling top ten battle highlights the night.
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 0
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 1
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 3
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)