Feb 27, 2013, 3:17 PM EDT
Game of the Night: San Diego State at No. 14 New Mexico (10:15 p.m. ET, CBS Sports Network)
New Mexico has taken a two game lead over Colorado State in the Mountain West, all but guaranteeing their MWC regular season title. They are coming off of one of the more impressive victories of the season, as Kendall Williams went for 46 points in a win at Moby Arena on Saturday. But the Aztecs are still quite talented and, when healthy, have the kind of perimeter attack that can cause problems for the Lobos. Here’s the thing about the MWC, however: the top four teams do not lose to the other top four teams at home. It’s happened twice this season. So Steve Fisher and company will have their work cut out for them.
Who’s Getting Upset?: No. 7 Georgetown at UConn (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
It’s the last go-around for the Hoyas and the Huskies, and it comes at a time that both teams are peaking. Georgetown has won nine straight games to take over sole possession of first place in the Big East, but UConn has won seven of their last nine games, which includes wins at home over Syracuse and Cincinnati. The Huskies are a tough team to beat in Connecticut, even if it happens with the sterile XL Center less than full. The Huskies are going to have a tough time dealing with Georgetown’s front line, but I’m not sure if the Hoyas can slow down Ryan Boatright and Shabazz Napier.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Night: Akron at Ohio (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
The two best teams in the MAC square off again tonight. The Zips won the first meeting at home earlier this month, and you better believe Ohio is looking to get their revenge. Akron is undefeated in the MAC, while Ohio’s only lost once in the league this season.
Five Things to Watch For
1) There are about 100 key bubble games tonight, but the five biggest are:
- Baylor at West Virginia (8:00 p.m. ET)
- Maryland at Georgia Tech (8:00 p.m. ET)
- Creighton at Bradley (8:00 p.m. ET)
- Texas A&M at Ole Miss (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
- Arizona State at UCLA (11:30 p.m. ET, Pac-12 Network)
2) No. 18 St. Louis has taken control of the Atlantic 10 race, and while St. Joe’s has been one of the most disappointing teams in the conference, they are still one of the most talented. The Billikens host the Hawks tonight. (8:00 p.m. ET, CBS Sports Network)
3) Besides Georgetown, there are four other ranked teams on the road tonight. The one you’ll want to keep an eye on: No. 11 Arizona at USC. The Trojans have been much-improved since they canned Kevin O’Neill midseason. (9:30 p.m. ET, Pac-12 Network)
4) Virginia Tech is not a good basketball team, but they may have the ACC’s Player of the Year on their roster. Erick Green is one of the best point guards in the country, and he’ll be going head-to-head with another one of the nation’s best point guards in Shane Larkin of No. 5 Miami. (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
5) Northeastern has a chance to clinch the CAA regular season title tonight at Georgia State (7:00 p.m. ET), while Bucknell hosts American with a chance to clinch the Patriot League regular season title (7:00 p.m. ET). Belmont has a chance to guarantee themselves a share of the Ohio Valley regular season title if they can knock off SIU-Edwardsville at home (8:00 p.m. ET).
- No. 4 Michigan at Penn State (6:30 p.m. ET, Big Ten Network)
- Virginia Tech at No. 5 Miami (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
- No. 7 Georgetown at UConn (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
- No. 10 Louisville at DePaul (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
- No. 11 Arizona at USC (9:30 p.m. ET, Pac-12 Network)
- San Diego State at No. 14 New Mexico (10:15 p.m. ET, CBS Sports Network)
- No. 15 Oklahoma State at TCU (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
- St. Joseph’s at No. 18 St. Louis (8:00 p.m. ET, CBS Sports Network)
- South Florida at No. 23 Pittsburgh (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
- Davidson at Elon (7:00 p.m. ET)
- Evansville at Wichita State (8:00 p.m. ET)
- Nevada at Boise State (8:00 p.m. ET)
- Mississippi State at Kentucky (8:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
- Oklahoma at Texas (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN2)
- Colorado at Stanford (11:00 p.m. ET, ESPN2)
- St. Mary’s at Pepperdine (11:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
May 4, 2015, 11:54 AM EDT
Ryan has set records for his ability to raise money at events like this.
May 4, 2015, 11:27 AM EDT
Curry burst onto the national scene with a huge 2008 NCAA tournament run.
May 4, 2015, 10:51 AM EDT
LeGerald Vick could end up moving into the class of 2015.
May 3, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Maia led the Ivy League in rebounding in each of his three seasons playing at Brown.
May 3, 2015, 10:55 PM EDT
Notre Dame’s first commitment in the 2016 class is an important one.
May 3, 2015, 10:05 PM EDT
The Aggies are on the board in 2016, and they’ve landed one of the top distributors in the class.
May 3, 2015, 8:25 PM EDT
Nigel Hayes believes that each individual school should be allowed to decide how much they give an athlete should they be allowed to pay them in the future.
May 3, 2015, 6:10 PM EDT
The Texans will hold its rookie minicamp next weekend.
May 3, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Jones hasn’t played a college game yet, but when he arrives on campus at UNLV he’ll be one of the best dunkers in college basketball.
May 3, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
Former Colorado guard Dustin Thomas is heading to Arkansas.
May 3, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
Wisconsin head coach Bo Ryan will be around for at least a few more years, it seems.
May 3, 2015, 1:55 PM EDT
Gonzaga landed a huge transfer in former Washington guard Nigel Williams-Goss.
May 3, 2015, 1:20 PM EDT
Louisville head coach Rick Pitino’s charter jet use is examined in a new report.
May 3, 2015, 10:45 AM EDT
Former Old Dominion forward Richard Ross is continuing to pursue the NFL and has been invited to a mini-camp.
May 3, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT
North Carolina commit Jalek Felton is fun to watch.
May 2, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
After being dismissed from Oregon, Dominic Artis spent a year at Diablo Valley CC in California but did not play basketball.
May 2, 2015, 9:33 PM EDT
Nwamu averaged 15.1 points per game and shot 37.4 percent from three at Mercer last season.
May 2, 2015, 7:41 PM EDT
Dakota Slaughter didn’t see much playing time at Alabama, but that could change at UTPA.
May 2, 2015, 5:36 PM EDT
A high-level perimeter shooter, Williams can help a team that was lacking in that area in 2014-15.
May 2, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
ECU scholarship athletes in football, men’s basketball and women’s basketball will receive an extra $4,025 in scholarship money beginning August 1.
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 4
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 3
- Five-star wing Jaylen Brown commits to California 0
- With Billy Donovan headed to Oklahoma City, where does this leave Florida? 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique 12
- Report: Billy Donovan, Oklahoma City ‘nearing an agreement’ on coaching vacancy 2
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? 11
- 2015 College Basketball Early Entry List (14)
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- How concerned should North Carolina fans be that Brandon Ingram passed on the Tar Heels? (11)
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? (11)
- Report: Five-star small forward Jaylen Brown cuts list to four (6)