Feb 27, 2013, 3:17 PM EDT
Game of the Night: San Diego State at No. 14 New Mexico (10:15 p.m. ET, CBS Sports Network)
New Mexico has taken a two game lead over Colorado State in the Mountain West, all but guaranteeing their MWC regular season title. They are coming off of one of the more impressive victories of the season, as Kendall Williams went for 46 points in a win at Moby Arena on Saturday. But the Aztecs are still quite talented and, when healthy, have the kind of perimeter attack that can cause problems for the Lobos. Here’s the thing about the MWC, however: the top four teams do not lose to the other top four teams at home. It’s happened twice this season. So Steve Fisher and company will have their work cut out for them.
Who’s Getting Upset?: No. 7 Georgetown at UConn (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
It’s the last go-around for the Hoyas and the Huskies, and it comes at a time that both teams are peaking. Georgetown has won nine straight games to take over sole possession of first place in the Big East, but UConn has won seven of their last nine games, which includes wins at home over Syracuse and Cincinnati. The Huskies are a tough team to beat in Connecticut, even if it happens with the sterile XL Center less than full. The Huskies are going to have a tough time dealing with Georgetown’s front line, but I’m not sure if the Hoyas can slow down Ryan Boatright and Shabazz Napier.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Night: Akron at Ohio (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
The two best teams in the MAC square off again tonight. The Zips won the first meeting at home earlier this month, and you better believe Ohio is looking to get their revenge. Akron is undefeated in the MAC, while Ohio’s only lost once in the league this season.
Five Things to Watch For
1) There are about 100 key bubble games tonight, but the five biggest are:
- Baylor at West Virginia (8:00 p.m. ET)
- Maryland at Georgia Tech (8:00 p.m. ET)
- Creighton at Bradley (8:00 p.m. ET)
- Texas A&M at Ole Miss (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
- Arizona State at UCLA (11:30 p.m. ET, Pac-12 Network)
2) No. 18 St. Louis has taken control of the Atlantic 10 race, and while St. Joe’s has been one of the most disappointing teams in the conference, they are still one of the most talented. The Billikens host the Hawks tonight. (8:00 p.m. ET, CBS Sports Network)
3) Besides Georgetown, there are four other ranked teams on the road tonight. The one you’ll want to keep an eye on: No. 11 Arizona at USC. The Trojans have been much-improved since they canned Kevin O’Neill midseason. (9:30 p.m. ET, Pac-12 Network)
4) Virginia Tech is not a good basketball team, but they may have the ACC’s Player of the Year on their roster. Erick Green is one of the best point guards in the country, and he’ll be going head-to-head with another one of the nation’s best point guards in Shane Larkin of No. 5 Miami. (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
5) Northeastern has a chance to clinch the CAA regular season title tonight at Georgia State (7:00 p.m. ET), while Bucknell hosts American with a chance to clinch the Patriot League regular season title (7:00 p.m. ET). Belmont has a chance to guarantee themselves a share of the Ohio Valley regular season title if they can knock off SIU-Edwardsville at home (8:00 p.m. ET).
- No. 4 Michigan at Penn State (6:30 p.m. ET, Big Ten Network)
- Virginia Tech at No. 5 Miami (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
- No. 7 Georgetown at UConn (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
- No. 10 Louisville at DePaul (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
- No. 11 Arizona at USC (9:30 p.m. ET, Pac-12 Network)
- San Diego State at No. 14 New Mexico (10:15 p.m. ET, CBS Sports Network)
- No. 15 Oklahoma State at TCU (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
- St. Joseph’s at No. 18 St. Louis (8:00 p.m. ET, CBS Sports Network)
- South Florida at No. 23 Pittsburgh (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
- Davidson at Elon (7:00 p.m. ET)
- Evansville at Wichita State (8:00 p.m. ET)
- Nevada at Boise State (8:00 p.m. ET)
- Mississippi State at Kentucky (8:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
- Oklahoma at Texas (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN2)
- Colorado at Stanford (11:00 p.m. ET, ESPN2)
- St. Mary’s at Pepperdine (11:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Apr 19, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill and Satchel Pierce are following former Golden Eagles coach Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech as the duo committed to the Hokies on Saturday morning.
POSTERIZED: SMU commit Emmanuel Mudiay flushes a ridiculous alley-oop during Jordan Brand Classic (VIDEO)
Apr 19, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
SMU commit Emmanuel Mudiay put down the best dunk at the Jordan Brand Classic.
Apr 18, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT
Northern Illinois extended the contract of head coach Mark Montgomery through the 2017-18 season.
Chicago duo Jahlil Okafor, Cliff Alexander earn MVP honors as East beats West in Jordan Brand Classic
Apr 18, 2014, 9:39 PM EDT
Chicago natives Jahlil Okafor and Cliff Alexander earned MVP honors as the East beat the West in the Jordan Brand Classic.
Apr 18, 2014, 8:40 PM EDT
Houston is allowing Danuel House and TaShawn Thomas to transfer, but only to certain programs.
Apr 18, 2014, 7:31 PM EDT
Indiana grabbed a commitment from a 2014 center on Friday night.
Apr 18, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
Miami forward James Kelly is moving on.
Apr 18, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
It was a busy day for the Butler Bulldogs on Friday as freshman guard Elijah Brown intends to transfer while former Indiana wing Austin Etherington will transfer to the Big East program.
Apr 18, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
Ole Miss picked up a big graduate transfer on Friday when former Tennessee State forward M.J. Rhett signed with the Rebels.
Apr 18, 2014, 4:44 PM EDT
St. John’s received some big news this week as sophomore center Chris Obekpa decided to stay in New York.
Apr 18, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
Kentucky freshman forward Marcus Lee will return to Lexington for his sophomore season.
Apr 18, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
After leading Georgia State to 25 wins and a Sun Belt regular season title, Ron Hunter has been rewarded with a contract extension.
Apr 18, 2014, 3:46 PM EDT
With Steve Wojciechowski accepting the head coaching position at Marquette, Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski announced how he would account for that departure Friday.
Apr 18, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT
Tulsa has officially hired Frank Haith to be its new basketball coach.
Apr 18, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
Arizona State announced Friday that guard Shaquielle McKissic has been granted an extra season of eligibility by the NCAA.
Apr 18, 2014, 1:03 PM EDT
Duke’s Rodney Hood made the news official Friday, announcing that he’ll be entering the 2014 NBA Draft.
Apr 18, 2014, 12:48 PM EDT
Family and friends of Lacey Holsworth gathered at the Breslin Center to celebrate her life on Thursday.
Apr 18, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Kansas will hold a groundbreaking ceremony for the DeBruce Center on May 2nd.
Apr 18, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
With the rise in graduate transfers, the NCAA is looking to change the immediate eligibility process.
Former Nevada forward Cole Huff free to transfer to non-Mountain West schools in southern California
Apr 17, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
The number of schools that former Nevada forward Cole Huff is prohibited from transferring to has been cut down to 38 following an appeals hearing Thursday.
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 6
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)