Feb 27, 2013, 3:17 PM EDT
Game of the Night: San Diego State at No. 14 New Mexico (10:15 p.m. ET, CBS Sports Network)
New Mexico has taken a two game lead over Colorado State in the Mountain West, all but guaranteeing their MWC regular season title. They are coming off of one of the more impressive victories of the season, as Kendall Williams went for 46 points in a win at Moby Arena on Saturday. But the Aztecs are still quite talented and, when healthy, have the kind of perimeter attack that can cause problems for the Lobos. Here’s the thing about the MWC, however: the top four teams do not lose to the other top four teams at home. It’s happened twice this season. So Steve Fisher and company will have their work cut out for them.
Who’s Getting Upset?: No. 7 Georgetown at UConn (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
It’s the last go-around for the Hoyas and the Huskies, and it comes at a time that both teams are peaking. Georgetown has won nine straight games to take over sole possession of first place in the Big East, but UConn has won seven of their last nine games, which includes wins at home over Syracuse and Cincinnati. The Huskies are a tough team to beat in Connecticut, even if it happens with the sterile XL Center less than full. The Huskies are going to have a tough time dealing with Georgetown’s front line, but I’m not sure if the Hoyas can slow down Ryan Boatright and Shabazz Napier.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Night: Akron at Ohio (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
The two best teams in the MAC square off again tonight. The Zips won the first meeting at home earlier this month, and you better believe Ohio is looking to get their revenge. Akron is undefeated in the MAC, while Ohio’s only lost once in the league this season.
Five Things to Watch For
1) There are about 100 key bubble games tonight, but the five biggest are:
- Baylor at West Virginia (8:00 p.m. ET)
- Maryland at Georgia Tech (8:00 p.m. ET)
- Creighton at Bradley (8:00 p.m. ET)
- Texas A&M at Ole Miss (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
- Arizona State at UCLA (11:30 p.m. ET, Pac-12 Network)
2) No. 18 St. Louis has taken control of the Atlantic 10 race, and while St. Joe’s has been one of the most disappointing teams in the conference, they are still one of the most talented. The Billikens host the Hawks tonight. (8:00 p.m. ET, CBS Sports Network)
3) Besides Georgetown, there are four other ranked teams on the road tonight. The one you’ll want to keep an eye on: No. 11 Arizona at USC. The Trojans have been much-improved since they canned Kevin O’Neill midseason. (9:30 p.m. ET, Pac-12 Network)
4) Virginia Tech is not a good basketball team, but they may have the ACC’s Player of the Year on their roster. Erick Green is one of the best point guards in the country, and he’ll be going head-to-head with another one of the nation’s best point guards in Shane Larkin of No. 5 Miami. (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
5) Northeastern has a chance to clinch the CAA regular season title tonight at Georgia State (7:00 p.m. ET), while Bucknell hosts American with a chance to clinch the Patriot League regular season title (7:00 p.m. ET). Belmont has a chance to guarantee themselves a share of the Ohio Valley regular season title if they can knock off SIU-Edwardsville at home (8:00 p.m. ET).
- No. 4 Michigan at Penn State (6:30 p.m. ET, Big Ten Network)
- Virginia Tech at No. 5 Miami (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
- No. 7 Georgetown at UConn (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
- No. 10 Louisville at DePaul (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
- No. 11 Arizona at USC (9:30 p.m. ET, Pac-12 Network)
- San Diego State at No. 14 New Mexico (10:15 p.m. ET, CBS Sports Network)
- No. 15 Oklahoma State at TCU (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
- St. Joseph’s at No. 18 St. Louis (8:00 p.m. ET, CBS Sports Network)
- South Florida at No. 23 Pittsburgh (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
- Davidson at Elon (7:00 p.m. ET)
- Evansville at Wichita State (8:00 p.m. ET)
- Nevada at Boise State (8:00 p.m. ET)
- Mississippi State at Kentucky (8:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
- Oklahoma at Texas (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN2)
- Colorado at Stanford (11:00 p.m. ET, ESPN2)
- St. Mary’s at Pepperdine (11:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Sep 17, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
“The Grateful Red” snapped up every available ticket within five minutes Wednesday morning.
Sep 17, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT
The Nittany Lions return five of their top six scorers from a team that finished the 2013-14 season with a 16-18 record (6-12 Big Ten).
Sep 17, 2014, 4:04 PM EDT
Jim Boeheim is not one to bite his tongue around the media.
Sep 17, 2014, 3:16 PM EDT
Tucker is a powerful dunker at 6-foot-4
Sep 17, 2014, 1:43 PM EDT
Is Oliver Purnell is tapping into a D.C. pipeline?
Sep 17, 2014, 1:08 PM EDT
Walker is currently suspended from the Texas team.
Sep 17, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
Missouri will move on with team-related activities without two freshmen following an arrest.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:59 AM EDT
Lyle was originally committed to Louisville before backing off.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
The rush for a good spot to wait for Big Blue Madness tickets is always entertaining.
Sep 16, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
The tallest player in high school basketball has some visits set.
Sep 16, 2014, 9:15 PM EDT
Arizona State has cut ties with a junior college forward and 2015 recruit was who arrested over the weekend.
Sep 16, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
Bo Ryan shows he’s a big man on campus at Wisconsin following his Final Four appearance.
Sep 16, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
Jalen Rose says that former teammates Chris Webber needs to apologize.
Sep 16, 2014, 6:06 PM EDT
The Longhorns pull in a commitment from a good guard in 2015.
Sep 16, 2014, 5:46 PM EDT
Kevin Stallings has earned four commitments in 2015.
Sep 16, 2014, 4:44 PM EDT
The five-star recruit decommitted from Louisville, and what it has to do with shoe companies.
Sep 16, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
There are also a limited number of ugly road weeks.
Sep 16, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
Wojcik was fired with cause for allegedly abusing his players.
Sep 16, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT
Mudiays $1.2 million deal with a team in China will now be significantly supplemented.
Sep 16, 2014, 9:50 AM EDT
Have you ever seen ‘Goodfellas’? You’ll recognize one of the main players in this story.
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 4
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 3
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (7)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)