Feb 27, 2013, 3:17 PM EDT
Game of the Night: San Diego State at No. 14 New Mexico (10:15 p.m. ET, CBS Sports Network)
New Mexico has taken a two game lead over Colorado State in the Mountain West, all but guaranteeing their MWC regular season title. They are coming off of one of the more impressive victories of the season, as Kendall Williams went for 46 points in a win at Moby Arena on Saturday. But the Aztecs are still quite talented and, when healthy, have the kind of perimeter attack that can cause problems for the Lobos. Here’s the thing about the MWC, however: the top four teams do not lose to the other top four teams at home. It’s happened twice this season. So Steve Fisher and company will have their work cut out for them.
Who’s Getting Upset?: No. 7 Georgetown at UConn (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
It’s the last go-around for the Hoyas and the Huskies, and it comes at a time that both teams are peaking. Georgetown has won nine straight games to take over sole possession of first place in the Big East, but UConn has won seven of their last nine games, which includes wins at home over Syracuse and Cincinnati. The Huskies are a tough team to beat in Connecticut, even if it happens with the sterile XL Center less than full. The Huskies are going to have a tough time dealing with Georgetown’s front line, but I’m not sure if the Hoyas can slow down Ryan Boatright and Shabazz Napier.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Night: Akron at Ohio (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
The two best teams in the MAC square off again tonight. The Zips won the first meeting at home earlier this month, and you better believe Ohio is looking to get their revenge. Akron is undefeated in the MAC, while Ohio’s only lost once in the league this season.
Five Things to Watch For
1) There are about 100 key bubble games tonight, but the five biggest are:
- Baylor at West Virginia (8:00 p.m. ET)
- Maryland at Georgia Tech (8:00 p.m. ET)
- Creighton at Bradley (8:00 p.m. ET)
- Texas A&M at Ole Miss (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
- Arizona State at UCLA (11:30 p.m. ET, Pac-12 Network)
2) No. 18 St. Louis has taken control of the Atlantic 10 race, and while St. Joe’s has been one of the most disappointing teams in the conference, they are still one of the most talented. The Billikens host the Hawks tonight. (8:00 p.m. ET, CBS Sports Network)
3) Besides Georgetown, there are four other ranked teams on the road tonight. The one you’ll want to keep an eye on: No. 11 Arizona at USC. The Trojans have been much-improved since they canned Kevin O’Neill midseason. (9:30 p.m. ET, Pac-12 Network)
4) Virginia Tech is not a good basketball team, but they may have the ACC’s Player of the Year on their roster. Erick Green is one of the best point guards in the country, and he’ll be going head-to-head with another one of the nation’s best point guards in Shane Larkin of No. 5 Miami. (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
5) Northeastern has a chance to clinch the CAA regular season title tonight at Georgia State (7:00 p.m. ET), while Bucknell hosts American with a chance to clinch the Patriot League regular season title (7:00 p.m. ET). Belmont has a chance to guarantee themselves a share of the Ohio Valley regular season title if they can knock off SIU-Edwardsville at home (8:00 p.m. ET).
- No. 4 Michigan at Penn State (6:30 p.m. ET, Big Ten Network)
- Virginia Tech at No. 5 Miami (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
- No. 7 Georgetown at UConn (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
- No. 10 Louisville at DePaul (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
- No. 11 Arizona at USC (9:30 p.m. ET, Pac-12 Network)
- San Diego State at No. 14 New Mexico (10:15 p.m. ET, CBS Sports Network)
- No. 15 Oklahoma State at TCU (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
- St. Joseph’s at No. 18 St. Louis (8:00 p.m. ET, CBS Sports Network)
- South Florida at No. 23 Pittsburgh (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
- Davidson at Elon (7:00 p.m. ET)
- Evansville at Wichita State (8:00 p.m. ET)
- Nevada at Boise State (8:00 p.m. ET)
- Mississippi State at Kentucky (8:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
- Oklahoma at Texas (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN2)
- Colorado at Stanford (11:00 p.m. ET, ESPN2)
- St. Mary’s at Pepperdine (11:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Sep 1, 2015, 5:18 PM EDT
UConn landed its second four-star recruit in the Class of 2016.
Sep 1, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
The GW senior finished with 19 points.
Sep 1, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
Jayce Johnson is focusing on five schools as he’s set four official visits.
Sep 1, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
Georgetown has some very intriguing games on the non-conference slate.
Sep 1, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
Arkansas won’t be getting a boost from the four-star big man.
Sep 1, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Pitt bolsters its backcourt with the late addition of a junior college guard.
Sep 1, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Conference realignment is still happening at the lower levels as Coastal Carolina makes a move to the Sun Belt.
Sep 1, 2015, 9:05 AM EDT
Shamorie Ponds is one of the best bucket-getting guards in the 2016 class.
Aug 31, 2015, 11:15 PM EDT
Malik Monk is rated No. 6 overall in the Class of 2016 by Rivals.
Aug 31, 2015, 9:44 PM EDT
It’s the second commit in as many nights for the Cyclones.
Aug 31, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
Javion Ogunyemi averaged 9.3 points and 4.8 rebounds per game in 2014-15.
Aug 31, 2015, 6:10 PM EDT
The two teams last met in the 2013 Big East Tournament
Aug 31, 2015, 4:44 PM EDT
Indiana dismissed the forward after his second alcohol-related incident.
Aug 31, 2015, 4:35 PM EDT
Cheick Diallo is still waiting to hear from the NCAA Eligibility Center.
Aug 31, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
Frank Jackson will make his college decision on Tuesday.
Aug 31, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
Rawle Alkins is one of the best players to come out of New York in years.
Aug 31, 2015, 11:20 AM EDT
Wisconsin head coach Bo Ryan seems to be taking things slowly when it comes to deciding his future.
Aug 31, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
Texas native Marques Bolden is focusing on seven schools.
Aug 31, 2015, 9:05 AM EDT
Rick Pitino gives some candid thoughts on Louisville and Puerto Rico.
Aug 30, 2015, 9:52 PM EDT
With Monte’ Morris being a junior and Nick Noskowiak leaving the program, Iowa State needed a point guard in the 2016 class.
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Syracuse legend to undergo surgery on a brain tumor this week (2)
- Wake Forest dismissed senior point guard for rules violation (1)
- Is Louisville’s non-conference schedule weak by design? (1)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)