Feb 27, 2013, 2:05 AM EST
C. Vivian Stringer, for 42 years and counting a head basketball coach, reached the exclusive 900-win club Tuesday when her Rutgers team snapped a four-game losing streak with a 68-56 victory over South Florida in Piscataway, N.J.
According to the Associated Press, Stringer held back tears as she became just the seventh coach to join the club and the fourth in women’s basketball history. She joins Pat Summitt, Jody Conradt, and Sylvia Hatchell, along with men’s coaches Jim Boeheim, Bob Knight, and Mike Krzyzewski.
“I think it’s beyond words,” said Stringer, as reported by the Associated Press. “I’m happy that it’s over. I can hardly breathe. It’s over and now I can just coach and smile, and get back to what I love to do because it’s never been about numbers.
“If it’s something special for all the generations of players and coaches that I’ve been a part of, then, yeah, I’m happy. But I’m looking forward to more.”
She has now amassed an overall record of 900-330 in her time as a head coach and has take three different programs to the Final Four. In addition to taking the Scarlet Knights to the Final Four in 2000 and 2007, she has also led Iowa there in 1993 and Cheyney State College in 1982.
“When I look back on my life, this team, probably this year, best reflects what 900 has been,” said Stringer. “It helped me to remember that it was never easy. But unless you really have a passion, unless you really know how fortunate you are not to have had a lot of major injuries to a lot of players, which is what happened to this team, and unless you remember how fortunate you are to be able to get to those special places.”
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 0
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (12)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)