Feb 27, 2013, 10:16 AM EDT
Ryan Evans has spent the entire season battling a brutal case of the ‘yips’.
Evans, a career 71.1% shooter from the charity stripe that shot 81.1% from the line in Big Ten play last season, is banging home just 41.4% of his free throws this season, and it’s gotten to the point that he is quite literally costing his team games. He was 1-9 from the line in a loss to Marquette earlier this season. He was 2-8 from the line when the Badgers lost to Minnesota in overtime earlier this month. He’s made just six of his last 20 free throws and has four airballs on the season.
To make matters worse, Evans’ struggles are starting to extend to the rest of his game. He’s down to 39.3% from the floor this season. He’s hit just two of the 23 threes that he’s attempted. He was 2-12 from the floor in a loss to Michigan State at home and 1-10 from the floor in a loss at Ohio State.
It’s a mental thing for Evans at this point, and in an effort to change that, he’s changed the way he shoots free throws.
From now on, Evans will be taking a jump shot from the foul line. He debuted it last night against Nebraska:
Twice, Evans finished off a three-point play with his new free throw technique. He rattled home to first one, and swished the second.
“It worked tonight, so I’m going to keep it going,” Evans said after the game. “It felt good. I feel a lot more confident out there.”
(h/t Bucky’s Revenge)
Aug 1, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
The College of Charleston has found a replacement for Doug Wojcik during his suspension.
Aug 1, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Tyler Davis has lost 70 pounds and evolved into one of the nation’s best big men.
Aug 1, 2014, 2:15 PM EDT
Louisville commit Raymond Spalding doesn’t feel pressure despite being a hometown kid.
Aug 1, 2014, 1:26 PM EDT
The 7-foot-1 center was arrested on charges including resisting arrest and second-degree assault.
Aug 1, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT
The 6-foot-8 Iowan averaged 17.1 points and 9.7 rebounds per game as a high school junior.
Aug 1, 2014, 10:53 AM EDT
Among the high school players in attendance are Jaylen Brown (2015), Thon Maker (2016) and Dennis Smith Jr. (2016).
Aug 1, 2014, 10:09 AM EDT
You’ve seen the pictures of the rings. Now see the player’s reactions once they got them.
Jul 31, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
Mary Willingham’s lawsuit came to light in early July, with the NCAA deciding to reopen its investigation at around the same time.
Jul 31, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
The explosive shooting guard’s new school is located in Napa, California.
Jul 31, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
The court will be redesigned by the end of the month.
Jul 31, 2014, 6:10 PM EDT
There are three: white, black and grey.
Jul 31, 2014, 5:20 PM EDT
Blackwell is a member of the Class of 2016 but is already hearing from some notable programs.
Jul 31, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT
Where have all the NYC Point Gods gone?
Jul 31, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Brunson is the father of a top 15 recruit and a potential hire for a program in the AAC.
Jul 31, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
Wichita State is coming off of a Final Four and an undefeated regular season. What happens if they can’t match that success again?
Jul 31, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
It’s the second time Hill has donated a million to the school
Jul 31, 2014, 10:50 AM EDT
Mitchell played as well as anyone in the country this July
Jul 31, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT
It’s not that strong, but it could have been much worse.
Jul 30, 2014, 10:32 PM EDT
Walker has spent the last 13 seasons at his alma mater.
Jul 30, 2014, 9:32 PM EDT
The highly athletic wing is back on the market, but he’s yet to be cleared academically.
- How can Wichita State build on the two best years in program history? 0
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Xavier’s new court design? Cincy’s skyline, but not chili (PHOTO) (3)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)
- Report: Top Oregon recruit denied admission to school (2)