Feb 27, 2013, 5:58 PM EST
While Scott Martin has sat on the bench trying to recover from lingering injuries the past nine games, his Notre Dame teammates have helped the Irish to a 22-6 overall record and 10-5 in conference play. But there remains no timetable for a return for the sixth-year senior, according to Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.com.
“It definitely makes it easier with us playing so well,” Martin told the site. “I don’t feel like I’m letting anyone down, but this has still been hard. No one wants to end their career physically being unable to do it.
“I’m trying to get as healthy as I can as fast as I can,” he said. “I don’t have time for surgery. Rest is really the only thing that will help.”
Despite losing Martin’s 7.9 points and 5.9 rebounds per game with him on the bench, other players have stepped up in his absence. Most prominent among them is likely Michigan State transfer Garrick Sherman, who scored 17 points and grabbed six rebounds in Notre Dame’s five-overtime thriller against Louisville. In that game, he barely saw minutes in regulation until starter Jack Cooley fouled out.
Would the return of Martin help the Irish down the stretch in the regular season and into the postseason? It never hurts to have an experienced senior in the regular rotation. But, the Irish are holding relatively steady without him.
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 0
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)