Feb 27, 2013, 5:58 PM EST
While Scott Martin has sat on the bench trying to recover from lingering injuries the past nine games, his Notre Dame teammates have helped the Irish to a 22-6 overall record and 10-5 in conference play. But there remains no timetable for a return for the sixth-year senior, according to Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.com.
“It definitely makes it easier with us playing so well,” Martin told the site. “I don’t feel like I’m letting anyone down, but this has still been hard. No one wants to end their career physically being unable to do it.
“I’m trying to get as healthy as I can as fast as I can,” he said. “I don’t have time for surgery. Rest is really the only thing that will help.”
Despite losing Martin’s 7.9 points and 5.9 rebounds per game with him on the bench, other players have stepped up in his absence. Most prominent among them is likely Michigan State transfer Garrick Sherman, who scored 17 points and grabbed six rebounds in Notre Dame’s five-overtime thriller against Louisville. In that game, he barely saw minutes in regulation until starter Jack Cooley fouled out.
Would the return of Martin help the Irish down the stretch in the regular season and into the postseason? It never hurts to have an experienced senior in the regular rotation. But, the Irish are holding relatively steady without him.
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 12
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 3
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (12)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)