Feb 28, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
Emotions ran high after Iowa State lost to Kansas in Hilton Coliseum on Monday night.
Not only did the Cyclones appear to be on the wrong end of a blown call that may have cost them the game, but with the game already in hand at the end of overtime, Elijah Johnson ran the length of the court and threw down a dunk that, at best, was unnecessary and, at worst, was an ugly display of showmanship.
The dunk drew a chorus of boos louder than the blown call. Some debris was tossed onto the court. One fan even went after Bill Self after the game and, reportedly, was restrained by the police.
Johnson apologized after the game, saying that he essentially was caught up in the moment. Understandable, but it wasn’t enough to appease some Cyclone fans who decided that launching racial slurs at Johnson on twitter was the smartest way to handle their frustration.
What’s scarier, however, is that fans actually made death threats. And while twitter is twitter, this is the kind of thing that you simply cannot gloss over. Angry, threatening, in possession of a gun and potentially intoxicated is not an ideal combination.
“It’s unfortunate but we know it certainly doesn’t represent the Iowa State community and its fans,” KU associate athletic director Jim Marchiony said Wednesday. “We’re sure Iowa State is handling it appropriately.”
Kansas coach Bill Self said Wednesday he was aware of the situation. He hadn’t been informed of any specifics, though, and the issue hadn’t come up with his team.
I don’t think Koithan and Sitzmann are all that bright.
Racial slurs and death threats from a public social media account with their actual name and picture on it?
Those two are going to find out the hard way that google never forgets.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 0
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)