Feb 28, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
Emotions ran high after Iowa State lost to Kansas in Hilton Coliseum on Monday night.
Not only did the Cyclones appear to be on the wrong end of a blown call that may have cost them the game, but with the game already in hand at the end of overtime, Elijah Johnson ran the length of the court and threw down a dunk that, at best, was unnecessary and, at worst, was an ugly display of showmanship.
The dunk drew a chorus of boos louder than the blown call. Some debris was tossed onto the court. One fan even went after Bill Self after the game and, reportedly, was restrained by the police.
Johnson apologized after the game, saying that he essentially was caught up in the moment. Understandable, but it wasn’t enough to appease some Cyclone fans who decided that launching racial slurs at Johnson on twitter was the smartest way to handle their frustration.
What’s scarier, however, is that fans actually made death threats. And while twitter is twitter, this is the kind of thing that you simply cannot gloss over. Angry, threatening, in possession of a gun and potentially intoxicated is not an ideal combination.
“It’s unfortunate but we know it certainly doesn’t represent the Iowa State community and its fans,” KU associate athletic director Jim Marchiony said Wednesday. “We’re sure Iowa State is handling it appropriately.”
Kansas coach Bill Self said Wednesday he was aware of the situation. He hadn’t been informed of any specifics, though, and the issue hadn’t come up with his team.
I don’t think Koithan and Sitzmann are all that bright.
Racial slurs and death threats from a public social media account with their actual name and picture on it?
Those two are going to find out the hard way that google never forgets.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 0
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (12)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)