Feb 28, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Emotions ran high after Iowa State lost to Kansas in Hilton Coliseum on Monday night.
Not only did the Cyclones appear to be on the wrong end of a blown call that may have cost them the game, but with the game already in hand at the end of overtime, Elijah Johnson ran the length of the court and threw down a dunk that, at best, was unnecessary and, at worst, was an ugly display of showmanship.
The dunk drew a chorus of boos louder than the blown call. Some debris was tossed onto the court. One fan even went after Bill Self after the game and, reportedly, was restrained by the police.
Johnson apologized after the game, saying that he essentially was caught up in the moment. Understandable, but it wasn’t enough to appease some Cyclone fans who decided that launching racial slurs at Johnson on twitter was the smartest way to handle their frustration.
What’s scarier, however, is that fans actually made death threats. And while twitter is twitter, this is the kind of thing that you simply cannot gloss over. Angry, threatening, in possession of a gun and potentially intoxicated is not an ideal combination.
“It’s unfortunate but we know it certainly doesn’t represent the Iowa State community and its fans,” KU associate athletic director Jim Marchiony said Wednesday. “We’re sure Iowa State is handling it appropriately.”
Kansas coach Bill Self said Wednesday he was aware of the situation. He hadn’t been informed of any specifics, though, and the issue hadn’t come up with his team.
I don’t think Koithan and Sitzmann are all that bright.
Racial slurs and death threats from a public social media account with their actual name and picture on it?
Those two are going to find out the hard way that google never forgets.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Report: Rutgers AD inflicted “mental cruelty” in her own coaching days 0
- Next college hoops season will begin and end in Texas 0
- The key to recruiting Myles Turner: a good psychology department? 0
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 2
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 5
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ (5)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (4)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Bill Self, redshirts, and the Power of Andrew Wiggins (4)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?