Feb 28, 2013, 7:59 PM EDT
In late January Notre Dame made the decision to sit sixth-year senior forward Scott Martin in hopes that rest would get Martin’s left knee back to full strength in time for the stretch run.
Unfortunately the knee hasn’t responded as either Martin or the school hoped, and during his radio show on Thursday head coach Mike Brey announced that Martin will not play again this season.
Martin will undergo surgery on the knee, which has already been operated on two separate occasions due to a torn ACL and a torn meniscus.
According to Notre Dame, Martin will still travel with the team and take part in “Senior Night” activities but sadly his playing career has ended.
With Martin out of the lineup players such as Tom Knight and Zach Auguste have earned more playing time, and the same can be said of Garrick Sherman since his performance in Notre Dame’s five-overtime win over Louisville on February 9.
Martin started all 18 games in which he played this season, averaging 7.9 points and 5.9 rebounds per game. One of Notre Dame’s better perimeter shooters, Martin shot 45.0% from the field and 46.3% from beyond the arc.
In that regard Cam Biedscheid and Pat Connaughton will need to improve their shooting as Notre Dame gets close to the Big East and NCAA tournaments.
Since the win over Louisville Biedscheid is making just 33% of his shots (3.5 points/game) and Connaughton has been worse, shooting 28.6% from the field (5.0 ppg).
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 3
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 4
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season (4)