Feb 28, 2013, 7:59 PM EDT
In late January Notre Dame made the decision to sit sixth-year senior forward Scott Martin in hopes that rest would get Martin’s left knee back to full strength in time for the stretch run.
Unfortunately the knee hasn’t responded as either Martin or the school hoped, and during his radio show on Thursday head coach Mike Brey announced that Martin will not play again this season.
Martin will undergo surgery on the knee, which has already been operated on two separate occasions due to a torn ACL and a torn meniscus.
According to Notre Dame, Martin will still travel with the team and take part in “Senior Night” activities but sadly his playing career has ended.
With Martin out of the lineup players such as Tom Knight and Zach Auguste have earned more playing time, and the same can be said of Garrick Sherman since his performance in Notre Dame’s five-overtime win over Louisville on February 9.
Martin started all 18 games in which he played this season, averaging 7.9 points and 5.9 rebounds per game. One of Notre Dame’s better perimeter shooters, Martin shot 45.0% from the field and 46.3% from beyond the arc.
In that regard Cam Biedscheid and Pat Connaughton will need to improve their shooting as Notre Dame gets close to the Big East and NCAA tournaments.
Since the win over Louisville Biedscheid is making just 33% of his shots (3.5 points/game) and Connaughton has been worse, shooting 28.6% from the field (5.0 ppg).
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 14
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 9
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see 7
- No. 2 Arizona, Sean Miller’s quest to reach Final Four once again falls short 7
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 71
- Sam Dekker, Frank Kaminsky catch fire as No. 1 Wisconsin beats No. 2 Arizona 9
- Rick Barnes is no longer the head coach at Texas 17
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (75)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (26)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)