Feb 28, 2013, 7:59 PM EDT
In late January Notre Dame made the decision to sit sixth-year senior forward Scott Martin in hopes that rest would get Martin’s left knee back to full strength in time for the stretch run.
Unfortunately the knee hasn’t responded as either Martin or the school hoped, and during his radio show on Thursday head coach Mike Brey announced that Martin will not play again this season.
Martin will undergo surgery on the knee, which has already been operated on two separate occasions due to a torn ACL and a torn meniscus.
According to Notre Dame, Martin will still travel with the team and take part in “Senior Night” activities but sadly his playing career has ended.
With Martin out of the lineup players such as Tom Knight and Zach Auguste have earned more playing time, and the same can be said of Garrick Sherman since his performance in Notre Dame’s five-overtime win over Louisville on February 9.
Martin started all 18 games in which he played this season, averaging 7.9 points and 5.9 rebounds per game. One of Notre Dame’s better perimeter shooters, Martin shot 45.0% from the field and 46.3% from beyond the arc.
In that regard Cam Biedscheid and Pat Connaughton will need to improve their shooting as Notre Dame gets close to the Big East and NCAA tournaments.
Since the win over Louisville Biedscheid is making just 33% of his shots (3.5 points/game) and Connaughton has been worse, shooting 28.6% from the field (5.0 ppg).
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)