Feb 28, 2013, 7:59 PM EDT
In late January Notre Dame made the decision to sit sixth-year senior forward Scott Martin in hopes that rest would get Martin’s left knee back to full strength in time for the stretch run.
Unfortunately the knee hasn’t responded as either Martin or the school hoped, and during his radio show on Thursday head coach Mike Brey announced that Martin will not play again this season.
Martin will undergo surgery on the knee, which has already been operated on two separate occasions due to a torn ACL and a torn meniscus.
"We tried to bring him back, but we've decided today we're going to have to shut him down." – on Scott Martin. Will have another operation.—
Notre Dame MBB (@NDmbb) March 01, 2013
According to Notre Dame, Martin will still travel with the team and take part in “Senior Night” activities but sadly his playing career has ended.
With Martin out of the lineup players such as Tom Knight and Zach Auguste have earned more playing time, and the same can be said of Garrick Sherman since his performance in Notre Dame’s five-overtime win over Louisville on February 9.
Martin started all 18 games in which he played this season, averaging 7.9 points and 5.9 rebounds per game. One of Notre Dame’s better perimeter shooters, Martin shot 45.0% from the field and 46.3% from beyond the arc.
In that regard Cam Biedscheid and Pat Connaughton will need to improve their shooting as Notre Dame gets close to the Big East and NCAA tournaments.
Since the win over Louisville Biedscheid is making just 33% of his shots (3.5 points/game) and Connaughton has been worse, shooting 28.6% from the field (5.0 ppg).
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Four-star shooting guard verbally commits to UCLA 0
- USA Basketball U17 team wins gold in the FIBA World Championships 0
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ 4
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Watch Stephen Curry put 40 on Gonzaga in the NCAA tournament (VIDEO) (3)
- Five-star power forward Elijah Thomas sets five official visits (3)