Feb 28, 2013, 7:59 PM EST
In late January Notre Dame made the decision to sit sixth-year senior forward Scott Martin in hopes that rest would get Martin’s left knee back to full strength in time for the stretch run.
Unfortunately the knee hasn’t responded as either Martin or the school hoped, and during his radio show on Thursday head coach Mike Brey announced that Martin will not play again this season.
Martin will undergo surgery on the knee, which has already been operated on two separate occasions due to a torn ACL and a torn meniscus.
According to Notre Dame, Martin will still travel with the team and take part in “Senior Night” activities but sadly his playing career has ended.
With Martin out of the lineup players such as Tom Knight and Zach Auguste have earned more playing time, and the same can be said of Garrick Sherman since his performance in Notre Dame’s five-overtime win over Louisville on February 9.
Martin started all 18 games in which he played this season, averaging 7.9 points and 5.9 rebounds per game. One of Notre Dame’s better perimeter shooters, Martin shot 45.0% from the field and 46.3% from beyond the arc.
In that regard Cam Biedscheid and Pat Connaughton will need to improve their shooting as Notre Dame gets close to the Big East and NCAA tournaments.
Since the win over Louisville Biedscheid is making just 33% of his shots (3.5 points/game) and Connaughton has been worse, shooting 28.6% from the field (5.0 ppg).
- Potential NCAA tournament bid thieves bubble teams should be rooting against 0
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 2
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 1
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (24)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)