Feb 28, 2013, 3:38 PM EST
Game of the Night: No. 3 Duke at Virginia (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
Virginia only has so many opportunities left to try and play their way into the NCAA tournament, and there may never be a better chance than knocking off the No. 3 team in the country. The Cavs are in an awkward spot. They have a number of good wins this season, but thanks to some horrendous losses, their computer numbers are to the point that they need every win that they can muster.
Virginia’s style of play is a difficult one to prepare for. They are a lot like Wisconsin in their style of defense and the way they like to control the tempo of the game. Virginia dares teams to shoot threes over their pack-line defense, which could backfire against a team like Duke, who has a number of quality three-point shooters along their perimeter. But the ‘Hoos are tough at home. A win here and Virginia should all but count on a tournament bid.
Who’s Getting Upset?: No. 2 Gonzaga at BYU (11:00 p.m. ET, ESPN2)
BYU’s at-large chances are essentially gone, but that doesn’t mean that the Cougars are a bad basketball team. They have two of the best players in the WCC on their roster in Tyler Haws and Brandon Davies, and they play an uptempo style than can generate a lot of points. If there is a knock on this Gonzaga team, it’s that their defense leaves something to be desired. Throw in the added advantage of playing in front of a tough, rowdy Marriott Center crowd, and BYU should have a shot at pulling off the upset.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Night: Utah State at No. 25 Louisiana Tech (8:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
It’s a shame that Preston Medlin and Kyisean Reed ended up getting hurt this season, because a matchup between that USU team and this Louisiana Tech team would have been a lot of fun to watch. More than anything, this should be a chance for you to watch LTU play. They are the overwhelming favorite to win the WAC’s automatic bid, and if they do go dancing, you’ll want to know who you’re picking, won’t you?
Five Things to Watch For
1) It’s the SWAC, so people won’t pay much attention to it, but with two games left, Southern and Texas Southern — the two teams tied for first place in the SWAC with just two games left in the regular season — square off tonight for a share of the league’s regular season title. The game is at Texas Southern, who lost the first matchup on the road. (9:00 p.m. ET)
2) Five other league titles are on the line tonight:
- Stony Brook could win the outright America East title by beating Boston U. on the road tonight. They have a two game lead over the Terriers with two games left in the regular season. (7:00 p.m. ET)
- Robert Morris currently holds a one game lead over Bryant in the NEC standings. There are two games left. Tonight, Bobby Mo will head to Rhode Island to take on the Bulldogs. (7:00 p.m. ET)
- Mercer visits Florida-Gulf Coast tonight. The Bears hold a two game lead over FGCU with two games left in the regular season. (7:30 p.m. ET)
- Niagara can clinch a share of the MAAC title tonight by beating Rider at home. They Purple Eagles hold a one game lead over Loyola (MD) with two regular season games left. (7:00 p.m. ET)
- South Dakota State has one regular season game left. Western Illinois has two. SDSU holds a half-game lead — one game in the win column — over WIU. Both are in action tonight.
3) Dominic Artis returns to the floor tonight for No. 24 Oregon as they host Oregon State. The Ducks are tied with UCLA for first in the Pac-12 standings. (11:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
4) Missouri’s road struggles have been well-documented this season. They visit South Carolina tonight. (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN2)
5) Will we see another ranked Big Ten team lose on the road tonight? No. 16 Ohio State visits Northwestern. (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN2)
- No. 2 Gonzaga at BYU (11:00 p.m. ET, ESPN2)
- No. 3 Duke at Virginia (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
- No. 16 Ohio State at Northwestern (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN2)
- Oregon State at No. 24 Oregon (11:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
- Utah State at No. 25 Louisiana Tech (8:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
- North Carolina at Clemson (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
- Detroit at Temple (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
- Drexel at Old Dominion (7:00 p.m. ET, NBC Sports Network)
- Utah at California (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
- Missouri at South Carolina (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN2)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Jan 25, 2015, 7:00 PM EST
Eight days after attempting 25 three-pointers in their loss to No. 5 Duke, the Cardinals attempted just 12 and scored 40 points in the paint against Pittsburgh.
Three-pointer with 5.2 seconds remaining completes second-half rally for No. 20 Northern Iowa (VIDEO)
Jan 25, 2015, 6:24 PM EST
UNI erased a 12-point second half deficit to win at Illinois State, and they remain a game behind No. 14 Wichita State in the Missouri Valley standings.
Jan 25, 2015, 5:38 PM EST
Chris Perry leads the Bulls in rebounding, and chest pains suffered during the team’s workout Saturday resulted in his having to be hospitalized.
Jan 25, 2015, 5:09 PM EST
Also of note on Sunday was Ohio State picking up its first RPI Top 50 win of the season.
Jan 25, 2015, 4:13 PM EST
Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski picked up career win No. 1,000 as the No. 5 Blue Devils bested St. John’s.
Jan 25, 2015, 2:30 PM EST
Well-traveled former Ole Miss guard Derrick Millinghaus has found a new home.
Jan 25, 2015, 1:21 PM EST
Kentucky is on the board in the 2016 class with a highly-touted big man from New Zealand.
Jan 25, 2015, 1:00 PM EST
A former four-star prospect is heading to Rhode Island.
Jan 25, 2015, 12:00 PM EST
A former Miami point guard is finding tremendous success on the football field and is a even being talked about as a first-rounder in the 2015 NFL Draft.
Jan 25, 2015, 10:10 AM EST
One of the best big men in the 2016 class could decide between three powerhouse programs on Sunday.
Jan 25, 2015, 9:00 AM EST
Coach K goes for win No. 1,000 against St. John’s and a fun battle of elite freshmen guards in the Big Ten are Sunday’s highlights.
Jan 25, 2015, 1:05 AM EST
I feel comfortable saying I’m a better dancer than Josh Pastner. Not by much, though.
Jan 24, 2015, 11:58 PM EST
Get caught up on everything that has happened in college basketball on Saturday.
Northwestern State staff wears special pants for ‘Suits and Sneakers’ game against McNeese State (PHOTO)
Jan 24, 2015, 11:34 PM EST
The pants worn by the coaching staff were one of the highlights in Northwestern State’s 92-68 win over McNeese State.
Jan 24, 2015, 9:31 PM EST
Crawford and his teammates are looking to rebound from the 18-point loss they suffered at Tulsa Wednesday night.
Jan 24, 2015, 9:20 PM EST
Peel finished the game with 17 points, 13 rebounds and five blocks as the Blue Devils picked up their first win in NEC play.
Jan 24, 2015, 8:34 PM EST
Baylor really needed this win, but Oklahoma has now lost three of their last four.
Jan 24, 2015, 7:20 PM EST
The Tribe bounced back from a loss at Delaware earlier in the week to move into a tie for first in the CAA.
Jan 24, 2015, 6:46 PM EST
Texas Tech hit its first five three-pointers and led by as many as 19 points in the first half of their 78-73 win over the Cyclones.
Jan 24, 2015, 5:20 PM EST
Bonkers is the only way to describe this finish.
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)