Feb 28, 2013, 11:29 PM EDT
With an overall resume that continues to baffle even the most esteemed of bracketologists, Virginia entered Thursday’s game against No. 3 Duke in need of another resume-building victory.
Thanks to Joe Harris and Tony Bennett’s pack-line defense the Cavaliers accomplished that feat, beating Duke 73-68 in Charlottesville. Now 10-5 in ACC play (20-8 overall), Virginia still has work to do but the ultimate goal of getting back to the NCAA tournament is within reach.
Harris was outstanding, shooting 12-of-20 from the field and scoring a game-high 36 points to go along with seven rebounds before fouling out in the game’s final minute. Duke threw a number of defenders at Harris throughout the night but to no avail, as he was consistently able to find quality looks.
Akil Mitchell added 19 points and 12 rebounds for Virginia, which made up for a 3-of-11 night from beyond the arc by making 51% of its two-pointers and shooting 22-of-29 from the foul line.
Just as important was Virginia’s play on the defensive end, as Duke shot 39.6% from the field and made just eight of their 32 three-point attempts. The goal of the pack-line defense is to keep offenses away from the paint, and with Duke lacking a forward capable of stretching a defense (that, of course, would be the injured Ryan Kelly) the Cavaliers were able to not only keep Quinn Cook from driving but also limit Mason Plumlee’s touches on the low block.
Plumlee attempted just five shots, finishing with ten points, seven rebounds and three turnovers. Cook managed to score 22 points (8-of-17 FG) but tallied just two assists (he entered the game averaging 5.5 assists/game in ACC play).
Virginia has now won five of its last seven games, and Thursday night was their last shot at a “marquee” win before the ACC tournament.
Does the win over Duke mean that they’re a lock to reach the NCAA tournament? When considering their overall resume the Cavaliers aren’t a “lock,” but they have to feel good about their chances at this point.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)