Feb 28, 2013, 10:53 PM EDT
Winners of six of their last seven games, No. 17 Wisconsin (20-8, 11-4) trails Indiana by just one game in the Big Ten standings with three games remaining, the first of which being a home contest against Purdue on Sunday.
But the Badgers saw a key cog in Bo Ryan’s attack go down with an injury in practice on Thursday, as senior forward Ryan Evans injured his right knee according to Jeff Potrykus of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel.
The severity of Evans’ injury is unknown at this time, but with three games followed by the Big Ten and NCAA tournaments the Badgers can’t afford to be without their best rebounder (10.5 ppg, 7.6 rpg) for an extended period of time.
Evans went down two minutes before reporters were allowed into the practice gym but his scream could be heard in the adjacent hallway.
Trainer Henry Perez-Guerra escorted Evans out of the practice gym. Evans did not require assistance as he walked off the court but did not return during the remaining 40 minutes of practice.
According to a UW official, Evans is under evaluation and is day-to-day. UW is set to practice Friday and Saturday before hosting Purdue at noon Sunday.
According to Potrykus freshman Sam Dekker moved into the first unit in practice following Evans’ injury, which could be a clue as to who would start if Evans were unable to go on Sunday.
After their home finale the Badgers visit No. 9 Michigan State and Penn State, and with the top five teams in the Big Ten standings separated by just two games a first-round bye in the Big Ten tournament is still up in the air.
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 2
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 3
- Five-star wing Jaylen Brown commits to California 0
- With Billy Donovan headed to Oklahoma City, where does this leave Florida? 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique 10
- Report: Billy Donovan, Oklahoma City ‘nearing an agreement’ on coaching vacancy 2
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? 11
- 2015 College Basketball Early Entry List (14)
- How concerned should North Carolina fans be that Brandon Ingram passed on the Tar Heels? (11)
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? (11)
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (10)
- Former Duke guard speaks publicly for first time since dismissal from team (5)