Mar 1, 2013, 9:35 AM EST
Who’s Getting Upset?: No. 11 Arizona at UCLA (Sat. 9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
The Wildcats gave up 89 points in a loss to USC on Wednesday night, their first loss since plugging Kevin Parrom into the starting lineup in what was one of the ugliest defensive performances of the season by the Wildcats. Things don’t get any easier on Saturday night, as Sean Miller’s club will be heading into Pauley Pavilion to take on a UCLA Bruins team that has climbed into a first place tie in the Pac-12 with Oregon.
This is where the matchup gets interesting. The Bruins had one of their most impressive performances of the season when they went into Tucson and knocked off Arizona 84-73 back in January, but that came when the Wildcats were still using two big men the majority of the time. With Parrom at the three and Solomon Hill sliding over to the four-spot, all of a sudden the Wildcats match up much better with the Bruins small lineup. Will that be enough to allow them to go into Westwood and get a win on Gameday?
Four more teams on Upset Watch:
- No. 19 Memphis at UCF (Sat. 1:00 p.m. ET, FSN): Central Florida doesn’t have much to play for right now, as their hopes of winning a league title are gone and they are banned from the postseason. What the Golden Knights do have to play for is the right to be the spoiler. Memphis is one loss in the regular season away from having a real concern about receiving an at-large bid if they don’t win CUSA’s automatic bid. Can UCF be the team that pulls off that upset?
- Texas at No. 15 Oklahoma State (Sat. 4:00 p.m. ET, ESPN): Texas is a different team with Myck Kabongo back. Does that mean they’re good enough to be a tournament team? Who knows, five games is a really small sample. But they have beaten Iowa State and erased a 22 point deficit in a comeback win over Oklahoma while Kabongo has put up impressive numbers. It was their press that worked magic against the Sooners. Will they use it on the Pokes on Saturday?
- No. 13 Kansas State at Baylor (Sat. 7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN2): This might as well be a tournament game for Baylor. If they lose to Kansas State, they are probably going to have to win the Big 12’s automatic bid if they want to be in the NCAA tournament. It’s that simple. And while we can all make jokes about Scott Drew and Baylor’s disappointing finishes, the fact of the matter is that the Bears have a ton of talent on their roster. In theory, they’re good enough that they should win this game. Doesn’t always work that way, though.
- Villanova at No. 23 Pitt (Sun. 12:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3): Villanova is such a weird team this season. They have wins over three of the top four teams in the Big East. They’ve also done things like get swept by Providence and lose to Seton Hall at home in a must-win game. It was the Pirate’s first-win in 33 days. Which is why it would only make sense that the Wildcats will go into the Pete and knock off the Panthers.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Dec 20, 2014, 10:26 PM EST
George Mason’s last win over a Division I opponent prior to Saturday came against another MAAC program, Manhattan, on November 29.
Dec 20, 2014, 9:00 PM EST
Jackson scored 22 points, with two coming on an emphatic dunk on Purdue freshman Isaac Haas.
Dec 20, 2014, 8:41 PM EST
It’s already been a busy day in college hoops, with two buzzer-beaters and two ranked teams already going down.
Dec 20, 2014, 7:57 PM EST
While Michigan State’s 4-for-21 night from three didn’t help matters, Texas Southern shot better than 53 percent from the field.
Dec 20, 2014, 7:18 PM EST
Burton was one of two sophomores to leave the Marquette program earlier this month.
Dec 20, 2014, 5:46 PM EST
Kentucky completely embarrassed UCLA on Saturday.
Dec 20, 2014, 5:04 PM EST
Mitchell Wilbekin could miss up to six games, and classmates Cornelius Hudson and Rondale Watson missed Saturday’s game for conduct detrimental to the team.
Dec 20, 2014, 4:31 PM EST
Illinois has now won two straight in the series, thanks to Rice’s three-pointer as time expired.
Dec 20, 2014, 3:26 PM EST
Not surprising, considering Gus Johnson is on the call.
Dec 20, 2014, 3:23 PM EST
North Carolina had its most impressive showing of the season in a convincing win over Ohio State on Saturday in Chicago.
Dec 20, 2014, 1:30 PM EST
Josh Jackson put on a show last night. Here’s a mixtape of what he can do.
Louisville’s Montrezl Harrell throws a punch, ejected as tempers flare against Western Kentucky (VIDEOS)
Dec 20, 2014, 12:56 PM EST
Montrezl Harrell ejected for throwing a punch.
Dec 20, 2014, 11:49 AM EST
This will be the first time that Murphy plays this season.
Dec 20, 2014, 11:25 AM EST
He won’t coach against VCU.
Dec 20, 2014, 10:00 AM EST
Kwe Parker might only be a junior in high school, but he’s one of the best leapers in the country.
Dec 20, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
If you don’t feel like watching lower-tier bowl games, you’ll be happy to know that Saturday is loaded with great games.
Dec 19, 2014, 11:45 PM EST
Here’s a rundown of Friday night’s action.
Alex Mitola’s buzzer-beater three gives Dartmouth a 58-55 overtime win over Northern Illinois (VIDEO)
Dec 19, 2014, 11:12 PM EST
Alex Mitola ended with 18 points for the Big Green.
Dec 19, 2014, 10:13 PM EST
Eastern Kentucky had 14 threes. Miami had 12 field goals.
Dec 19, 2014, 8:59 PM EST
The senior forward is apparently playing for the Wisconsin Bearcats.
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 4
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (4)