Mar 1, 2013, 9:35 AM EDT
Who’s Getting Upset?: No. 11 Arizona at UCLA (Sat. 9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
The Wildcats gave up 89 points in a loss to USC on Wednesday night, their first loss since plugging Kevin Parrom into the starting lineup in what was one of the ugliest defensive performances of the season by the Wildcats. Things don’t get any easier on Saturday night, as Sean Miller’s club will be heading into Pauley Pavilion to take on a UCLA Bruins team that has climbed into a first place tie in the Pac-12 with Oregon.
This is where the matchup gets interesting. The Bruins had one of their most impressive performances of the season when they went into Tucson and knocked off Arizona 84-73 back in January, but that came when the Wildcats were still using two big men the majority of the time. With Parrom at the three and Solomon Hill sliding over to the four-spot, all of a sudden the Wildcats match up much better with the Bruins small lineup. Will that be enough to allow them to go into Westwood and get a win on Gameday?
Four more teams on Upset Watch:
- No. 19 Memphis at UCF (Sat. 1:00 p.m. ET, FSN): Central Florida doesn’t have much to play for right now, as their hopes of winning a league title are gone and they are banned from the postseason. What the Golden Knights do have to play for is the right to be the spoiler. Memphis is one loss in the regular season away from having a real concern about receiving an at-large bid if they don’t win CUSA’s automatic bid. Can UCF be the team that pulls off that upset?
- Texas at No. 15 Oklahoma State (Sat. 4:00 p.m. ET, ESPN): Texas is a different team with Myck Kabongo back. Does that mean they’re good enough to be a tournament team? Who knows, five games is a really small sample. But they have beaten Iowa State and erased a 22 point deficit in a comeback win over Oklahoma while Kabongo has put up impressive numbers. It was their press that worked magic against the Sooners. Will they use it on the Pokes on Saturday?
- No. 13 Kansas State at Baylor (Sat. 7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN2): This might as well be a tournament game for Baylor. If they lose to Kansas State, they are probably going to have to win the Big 12′s automatic bid if they want to be in the NCAA tournament. It’s that simple. And while we can all make jokes about Scott Drew and Baylor’s disappointing finishes, the fact of the matter is that the Bears have a ton of talent on their roster. In theory, they’re good enough that they should win this game. Doesn’t always work that way, though.
- Villanova at No. 23 Pitt (Sun. 12:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3): Villanova is such a weird team this season. They have wins over three of the top four teams in the Big East. They’ve also done things like get swept by Providence and lose to Seton Hall at home in a must-win game. It was the Pirate’s first-win in 33 days. Which is why it would only make sense that the Wildcats will go into the Pete and knock off the Panthers.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Apr 24, 2014, 8:23 PM EDT
After spending two seasons at Maryland, big man Shaquille Cleare has decided to transfer to Texas.
Apr 24, 2014, 7:14 PM EDT
UNLV junior forward Khem Birch has decided to enter the 2014 NBA Draft.
Apr 24, 2014, 5:56 PM EDT
After averaging 12.5 points per game as a sophomore, San Francisco guard Avry Holmes has decided to transfer.
Apr 24, 2014, 4:49 PM EDT
Arizona State lands its seventh newcomer for the 2014-15 season as forward Willie Atwood picked the Sun Devils over Florida State and Iowa.
Apr 24, 2014, 4:13 PM EDT
The NCAA’s Board of Directors released some key decisions on Thursday.
Apr 24, 2014, 4:12 PM EDT
Colorado junior guard Spencer Dinwiddie has decided to enter the 2014 NBA Draft.
Apr 24, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
Dan D’Antoni spent 30 years as a high school coach in South Carolina.
Apr 24, 2014, 2:23 PM EDT
Parker is not a fan of forcing players to stay in school for two years.
Apr 24, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
There are reports he’s already signed with an agent.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:35 PM EDT
The seven-footer will miss some time getting a torn labrum repaired.
Apr 24, 2014, 11:56 AM EDT
Roy Williams is not the world’s greatest dancer.
Apr 24, 2014, 11:25 AM EDT
Kentucky, Kansas and just about every elite program in the country is on the trail of the Haitian.
Apr 24, 2014, 10:39 AM EDT
It’s pretty funnyl
Apr 24, 2014, 12:57 AM EDT
According to multiple reports, former Georgetown big Moses Ayegba has decided to transfer to Nebraska.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:17 AM EDT
According to a report, UConn center Amida Brimah will need to undergo surgery on his left shoulder.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:38 PM EDT
Shaka Smart filled a vacancy on his staff Wednesday, hiring former Vanderbilt assistant David Cason.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT
Less than a week after making an official visit to the school, it was reported that Malek Harris had committed to Kansas State. But that may not be the case.
Apr 23, 2014, 7:49 PM EDT
Frank Haith announced his coaching staff Wednesday, with the trio combining to have more than 90 seasons of coaching experience.
Apr 23, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT
UConn and Duke will reportedly play each other just before Christmas in New Jersey.
Apr 23, 2014, 5:23 PM EDT
Former St. John’s commit Darrick Wood verbally committed to attend DePaul on Wednesday.
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ 4
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 1
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)
- Indiana grabs commitment from prep school center (VIDEO) (6)
- Harrison twins awaiting feedback from NBA before deciding to return or declare (6)
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ (5)