Mar 1, 2013, 12:33 AM EDT
The season hasn’t gone as the Drexel Dragons would have hoped for, as key injuries for a team that didn’t have the deepest rotation to begin with erased their hopes of repeating as CAA regular season champions.
But in a league like the CAA a tough season can be turned around in the conference tournament, and that will be the goal for Bruiser Flint’s team when they arrive in Richmond next weekend. Drexel (12-17, 8-9) hung on to win at Old Dominion on Thursday night, 81-77, with sophomore guard Damion Lee scoring a career-high 34 points and grabbing ten rebounds to lead the way.
Unfortunately for the Monarchs (4-25, 1-17) they won’t be able to play in next week’s CAA tournament, as a conference bylaw prohibits a school leaving the conference (ODU is moving to Conference USA as their football program makes the move to the FBS level) from competing in the conference tournament.
ODU plays its final basketball game as a CAA member on Saturday afternoon at regular season champion Northeastern, and the end can’t come soon enough for the Monarchs. Blaine Taylor was relieved of his duties as head coach a couple weeks ago, and the four wins are the fewest in a season since the 1943-44 campaign.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- In his first day of recruiting, Bruce Pearl lands Auburn a four-star forward (4)
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)