Mar 1, 2013, 12:33 AM EDT
The season hasn’t gone as the Drexel Dragons would have hoped for, as key injuries for a team that didn’t have the deepest rotation to begin with erased their hopes of repeating as CAA regular season champions.
But in a league like the CAA a tough season can be turned around in the conference tournament, and that will be the goal for Bruiser Flint’s team when they arrive in Richmond next weekend. Drexel (12-17, 8-9) hung on to win at Old Dominion on Thursday night, 81-77, with sophomore guard Damion Lee scoring a career-high 34 points and grabbing ten rebounds to lead the way.
Unfortunately for the Monarchs (4-25, 1-17) they won’t be able to play in next week’s CAA tournament, as a conference bylaw prohibits a school leaving the conference (ODU is moving to Conference USA as their football program makes the move to the FBS level) from competing in the conference tournament.
ODU plays its final basketball game as a CAA member on Saturday afternoon at regular season champion Northeastern, and the end can’t come soon enough for the Monarchs. Blaine Taylor was relieved of his duties as head coach a couple weeks ago, and the four wins are the fewest in a season since the 1943-44 campaign.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 3
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 3
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft (3)