Mar 1, 2013, 12:33 AM EST
The season hasn’t gone as the Drexel Dragons would have hoped for, as key injuries for a team that didn’t have the deepest rotation to begin with erased their hopes of repeating as CAA regular season champions.
But in a league like the CAA a tough season can be turned around in the conference tournament, and that will be the goal for Bruiser Flint’s team when they arrive in Richmond next weekend. Drexel (12-17, 8-9) hung on to win at Old Dominion on Thursday night, 81-77, with sophomore guard Damion Lee scoring a career-high 34 points and grabbing ten rebounds to lead the way.
Unfortunately for the Monarchs (4-25, 1-17) they won’t be able to play in next week’s CAA tournament, as a conference bylaw prohibits a school leaving the conference (ODU is moving to Conference USA as their football program makes the move to the FBS level) from competing in the conference tournament.
ODU plays its final basketball game as a CAA member on Saturday afternoon at regular season champion Northeastern, and the end can’t come soon enough for the Monarchs. Blaine Taylor was relieved of his duties as head coach a couple weeks ago, and the four wins are the fewest in a season since the 1943-44 campaign.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? 2
- North Carolina shows up ready to compete, knocks off No. 1 Michigan State 1
- Duke doesn’t need Rasheed Sulaimon if they have three guys that fit into a role 2
- The Chase for 180: Doug McDermott’s tough night 0
- Michigan’s offensive struggles in 79-69 loss to Duke a major concern 1
- Marshall Henderson’s on-court antics aren’t changing. Deal with it (5)
- No. 5 Oklahoma State’s win over Purdue exemplifies issues with new foul rules (3)
- Tim Floyd tees off on Andy Enfield: ‘We’re not going to take it in the shorts’ (3)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- No. 20 Creighton gets 27 from Doug McDermott, stifles Jahii Carson in blowout (2)