Mar 1, 2013, 7:50 PM EST
The No. 7 Georgetown Hoyas have won 10 straight en route to the top spot in the Big East standings. Despite all the conference success this season, John Thompson III and his Hoyas are in favor of cutting conference ties and are ready to make the jump with the Catholic 7 for the 2013-2014 season.
“I’ve said from the beginning: the sooner the better,” Thompson said Friday according to the Associated Press. “That’s best for every and all parties in our situation. In other conferences, if you know there’s going to be a change, the sooner the better.”
The Catholic 7 — Georgetown, St. John’s, Seton Hall, DePaul, Villanova, Marquette and Providence — announced its departure in Dec. But on Thursday, the seven expedited the process, stating along with Butler and Xavier would form a new league starting next fall, holding on to the Big East name.
However as the AP reports, next season, may not be the new league’s inaugural season.
But there are logistics to work out in a hurry if that is to happen, many of them having to do with money. The splinter schools want to retain the Big East name and play the conference tournament at Madison Square Garden. Also, seven schools aren’t enough to sustain a major conference, so Butler and Xavier are among the prime candidates to join in.
At this point in the season, there isn’t a much better way Georgetown could exit the original Big East. The Hoyas, in a span of five days, topped a pair of long-standing Big East rivals — Syracuse and UConn — on the road. Georgetown is playing its best basketball at the moment, behind the play of sophomore forward Otto Porter. With Indiana, Duke and Michigan all losing this week, the Hoyas may be looking at a potential one seed in the NCAA tournament.
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)