Mar 1, 2013, 1:47 PM EDT
Having already clinched the North Division title in the Big South, the High Point Panthers (16-12, 11-4) were poised to enter next week’s conference tournament as one of the favorites to win the league’s automatic bid.
But the Panthers’ status as a favorite took a hit on Friday, as it was reported by Jeff Borzello of CBSSports.com that redshirt freshman forward John Brown is done for the season due to a broken right foot.
According to the report Brown suffered the injury in the first half of High Point’s 63-58 loss to Radford on Wednesday night, playing just two minutes. Without him the Panthers shot 41% from the field but they were outscored by 11 points at the foul line (20-9) and shot 9-of-19 from the charity stripe.
With an eye towards the conference tournament this is a significant loss for High Point, as Brown is the team’s leading scorer and second-leading rebounder. Shooting 51.9% from the field on the season, Brown started all 28 games for head coach Scott Cherry and averaged 16.4 points and 6.1 rebounds per game.
Brown won the Big South Freshman of the Week award five times this season, just one short of the league record established by Davidson’s Frank Harris (1991-92) and Coastal Carolina’s Jack Leasure (2004-05).
With Brown and senior Allan Chaney in the front court the Panthers had a tandem that ranked among the best in the Big South. Without Brown, High Point will need players such as Devante Wallace (5.3 ppg, 2.9 rpg), Corey Law (5.2 ppg, 3.9 rpg) and Lorenzo Cugini (4.2 ppg, 2.7 rpg) to step up and help fill the void on the glass.
Offensively Brown’s injury likely means more scoring opportunities for guards Adam Weary (9.8 ppg) and Dejuan McGaughy (6.9 ppg), and Chaney (14.2 ppg, 7.8 rpg) is capable of taking on more responsibilities as well.
Photo credit: High Point University
Jul 7, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT
The junior point guard is one of several banged up Jayhawks.
Jul 7, 2015, 9:06 PM EDT
Eron Harris averaged 17.2 points per game for West Virginia in the 2013-14 season.
Jul 7, 2015, 8:17 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson, Harry Giles, Jayson Tatum, Tyler Dorsey and Terrance Ferguson were included in the top plays.
Jul 7, 2015, 6:52 PM EDT
Mike Davis has one of the most entertaining players joining the program.
Jul 7, 2015, 5:16 PM EDT
Memphis loses its top scorer.
Jul 7, 2015, 4:21 PM EDT
The No. 1 player from 2010 turned into one of the biggest busts in recent memory.
Jul 7, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
See, he’s just a creepy fanboy like the rest of us!
Jul 7, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
Michigan State will be hosting Florida, with a return game in Gainesville in two years.
Jul 7, 2015, 11:16 AM EDT
The Jayhawks … err, Americans … are now 3-0 in the event.
Jul 7, 2015, 8:50 AM EDT
Read through my column on Georges Niang and Iowa State.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:47 PM EDT
Four-star point guard Payton Pritchard is going to explore his options heading into the July live evaluation period.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:25 PM EDT
Northwestern continues to get good local pick-ups in the 2016 class.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
La Salle is losing an experienced guard to transfer.
Jul 6, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
One of Tennessee’s only options at point guard is enrolling closer to the school year.
Jul 6, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
One of the better shooting guards in the country is focused on 10 schools.
Jul 6, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Michigan is going with the Jumpman under its new apparel agreement.
Jul 6, 2015, 2:48 PM EDT
Kentucky had led the nation in average attendance for eight straight years.
Jul 6, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
The top three in this group is debatable.
Jul 6, 2015, 12:53 PM EDT
Jonathan Isaac is loaded with potential.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:23 AM EDT
The front of the jersey said Kansas before.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2010? 0
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)
- Austin Nichols looking to transfer from Memphis (2)
- Star Kansas freshman Carlton Bragg injured on trip to South Korea (1)