Mar 1, 2013, 8:45 AM EDT
Game of the Weekend: No. 5 Miami at No. 3 Duke (Sat. 6:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
Some of the luster was taken off of this game when Duke lost to Virginia on Thursday night while Miami is coming off of a blowout loss to Wake Forest last Saturday. If Miami can’t compete with the Demon Deacons on the road, are we really supposed to assume they can compete with Duke at Cameron Indoor Stadium?
Well, yeah, probably. Because the last time these two got together, Miami beat Duke by 27 points. And it wasn’t even that close. If that wasn’t bad enough, Miami did what they could to mock and make fun of Duke in the second half by slapping the floor on defense. You don’t think Duke is mad about that? They got embarrassed and shown up on the road by Miami?
Even if Ryan Kelly doesn’t play and even if these two teams are “down” from where they were a week ago, these are still two good basketball teams with plenty of bad blood to go around.
Five more games you need to watch:
- No. 10 Louisville at No. 12 Syracuse (Sat. 12:00 p.m. ET, CBS): It seems like every team in the country that was supposed to be good this season has had a couple of weeks where they can’t seem to figure anything out. That’s been Syracuse for the last month. Teams have started playing them zone, and the Orange have been unable to figure out how to score against it. Guess what Louisville likes to play? We can only hope that this game will live up to the last time these two got together, when Michael Carter-Williams picked up a pair of steals in the final 30 seconds to beat the Cardinals.
- No. 21 Notre Dame at No. 22 Marquette (Sat. 2:00 p.m. ET, ESPN): The key matchup here will be in the paint. Marquette most important player has been low-post scorer Davante Gardner, but he’ll be going up against the Big East’s most physical post player in Jack Cooley.
- Wichita State at Creighton (Sat. 2:00 p.m. ET, ESPN2): It all comes down to one game. Wichita State and Creighton are tied for first in the Missouri Valley right now. They play on Saturday in what has become the MVC title game. That alone provides more than enough intrigue, but there’s more to it: the loser falls one step closer to the bubble. If, say, Creighton loses on Saturday and loses in the first round of the MVC tournament, there’s a chance they miss the NCAA tournament. And vice versa.
- No. 20 Butler at VCU (Sat. 12:00 p.m. ET, ESPN2): The two newest additions to the Atlantic 10 — and one of the latest departures? — square off in a battle for second place in the Atlantic 10 standings. It will be interesting to see how the Bulldogs’ back court can handle the pressure from VCU’s ‘Havoc’ defense. More importantly, Butler is three fluky wins away from being a borderline bubble team. Can they make a statement against the Rams?
- No. 9 Michigan State at No. 4 Michigan (Sun. 4:00 p.m. ET, CBS): Michigan’s potential to earn a No. 1 seed was put into serious jeopardy when they lost to Penn State on Wednesday night, giving up 84 points to the previously winless-in-the-Big-Ten Nittany Lions. The last time these two got together, Sparty won by 22 points, but that was before Keith Appling’s nosedive. Can the Wolverines get their revenge?
And what about the mid-majors?
- Harvard at Princeton (Fri. 7:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
- Loyola (MD) at Iowa (Fri. 7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN2)
- Northwestern State at Stephen F. Austin (Sat. 7:00 p.m. ET)
- George Mason at Delaware (Sat. 2:00 p.m. ET, NBCSports)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Mar 28, 2015, 8:35 PM EDT
Dekker scored 20 of his 27 points in the second half at Wisconsin beat Arizona in the Elite Eight for the second straight year.
Mar 28, 2015, 8:34 PM EDT
Frank got a little funky after Wisconsin’s win over Arizona.
Mar 28, 2015, 8:27 PM EDT
This is too funny.
Mar 28, 2015, 6:05 PM EDT
Barnes coached at Texas for 17 seasons.
Mar 28, 2015, 5:32 PM EDT
So Andrew Harrison was a grown man in middle school?
Arrests made as Michigan State fans gather, set fires near off-campus apartments after Sweet 16 win (VIDEO)
Mar 28, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
Some Michigan State students got a little too rowdy following a win over Oklahoma.
Mar 28, 2015, 1:48 PM EDT
The Citadel hired away the head coach of a Southern Conference rival.
Houston Rockets GM Daryl Morey on college hoops: ‘It’s absolute torture watching some of these games’ (AUDIO)
Mar 28, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Houston Rockets general manager Daryl Morey had some strong words on the current state of college basketball.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:17 PM EDT
Frank Kaminsky’s path to stardom may not follow that of last year’s national Player of the Year winner, Doug McDermott, but it’s one that many players hope to navigate during their own time in school.
Tom Izzo blames himself, new Will Ferrell/Kevin Hart movie on Michigan State’s sluggish Sweet 16 start
Mar 28, 2015, 10:55 AM EDT
Michigan State might have been the only people in the country watching “Get Hard” on Friday afternoon.
Former oddsmaker believes Kentucky would be underdog against all-time great college basketball teams
Mar 28, 2015, 9:40 AM EDT
Kentucky might finish the 2014-15 season unblemished, but how do they stack up against some of the best teams in college basketball history?
Mar 28, 2015, 12:52 AM EDT
Get caught up on all of Friday’s NCAA tournament action.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:35 AM EDT
ACC teams went 2-1 Friday night, with Louisville’s win over NC State being the league’s lone defeat.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:27 AM EDT
The schedule for Sunday’s Elite 8 games.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:23 AM EDT
Second straight Elite 8 appearance for Tom Izzo and Co.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:08 AM EDT
No. 1 Duke advanced to the Elite 8 with a win in the South Regional over No. 5 Utah.
Mar 27, 2015, 11:31 PM EDT
This is a pretty nice move from Amile Jefferson.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:58 PM EDT
Wardle spent five seasons as coach at Green Bay.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:47 PM EDT
Will play the winner of Michigan State-Oklahoma.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:39 PM EDT
Caleb Martin’s only two points of the game.
- Sam Dekker, Frank Kaminsky catch fire as No. 1 Wisconsin beats No. 2 Arizona 1
- Rick Barnes is no longer the head coach at Texas 5
- Frank Kaminsky’s growth results in individual and team benefits for No. 1 Wisconsin 3
- Tourney Snacks: Duke-Gonzaga, Louisville-Michigan State advance to Elite 8 11
- No. 1 Duke advances to Elite 8 with win over No. 5 Utah 1
- No. 2 Gonzaga gets past No. 11 UCLA to advance to Elite 8 2
- Sources: Rick Barnes not expected to return to Texas 7
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Three ACC, two Big Ten teams in Elite Eight (25)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- NCAA’s Mark Emmert calls Indiana’s religious freedom bill ‘especially concerning’ (20)