Mar 1, 2013, 8:45 AM EDT
Game of the Weekend: No. 5 Miami at No. 3 Duke (Sat. 6:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
Some of the luster was taken off of this game when Duke lost to Virginia on Thursday night while Miami is coming off of a blowout loss to Wake Forest last Saturday. If Miami can’t compete with the Demon Deacons on the road, are we really supposed to assume they can compete with Duke at Cameron Indoor Stadium?
Well, yeah, probably. Because the last time these two got together, Miami beat Duke by 27 points. And it wasn’t even that close. If that wasn’t bad enough, Miami did what they could to mock and make fun of Duke in the second half by slapping the floor on defense. You don’t think Duke is mad about that? They got embarrassed and shown up on the road by Miami?
Even if Ryan Kelly doesn’t play and even if these two teams are “down” from where they were a week ago, these are still two good basketball teams with plenty of bad blood to go around.
Five more games you need to watch:
- No. 10 Louisville at No. 12 Syracuse (Sat. 12:00 p.m. ET, CBS): It seems like every team in the country that was supposed to be good this season has had a couple of weeks where they can’t seem to figure anything out. That’s been Syracuse for the last month. Teams have started playing them zone, and the Orange have been unable to figure out how to score against it. Guess what Louisville likes to play? We can only hope that this game will live up to the last time these two got together, when Michael Carter-Williams picked up a pair of steals in the final 30 seconds to beat the Cardinals.
- No. 21 Notre Dame at No. 22 Marquette (Sat. 2:00 p.m. ET, ESPN): The key matchup here will be in the paint. Marquette most important player has been low-post scorer Davante Gardner, but he’ll be going up against the Big East’s most physical post player in Jack Cooley.
- Wichita State at Creighton (Sat. 2:00 p.m. ET, ESPN2): It all comes down to one game. Wichita State and Creighton are tied for first in the Missouri Valley right now. They play on Saturday in what has become the MVC title game. That alone provides more than enough intrigue, but there’s more to it: the loser falls one step closer to the bubble. If, say, Creighton loses on Saturday and loses in the first round of the MVC tournament, there’s a chance they miss the NCAA tournament. And vice versa.
- No. 20 Butler at VCU (Sat. 12:00 p.m. ET, ESPN2): The two newest additions to the Atlantic 10 — and one of the latest departures? — square off in a battle for second place in the Atlantic 10 standings. It will be interesting to see how the Bulldogs’ back court can handle the pressure from VCU’s ‘Havoc’ defense. More importantly, Butler is three fluky wins away from being a borderline bubble team. Can they make a statement against the Rams?
- No. 9 Michigan State at No. 4 Michigan (Sun. 4:00 p.m. ET, CBS): Michigan’s potential to earn a No. 1 seed was put into serious jeopardy when they lost to Penn State on Wednesday night, giving up 84 points to the previously winless-in-the-Big-Ten Nittany Lions. The last time these two got together, Sparty won by 22 points, but that was before Keith Appling’s nosedive. Can the Wolverines get their revenge?
And what about the mid-majors?
- Harvard at Princeton (Fri. 7:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
- Loyola (MD) at Iowa (Fri. 7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN2)
- Northwestern State at Stephen F. Austin (Sat. 7:00 p.m. ET)
- George Mason at Delaware (Sat. 2:00 p.m. ET, NBCSports)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Apr 20, 2014, 12:58 AM EDT
According to a report, Louisiana Tech’s Michael White is the focus of Tennessee’s search for a new head coach.
Apr 19, 2014, 11:03 PM EDT
Just over a week after his appeal to be released from his scholarship at Marshall was granted, Kareem Canty’s decided to transfer to Auburn.
Apr 19, 2014, 9:17 PM EDT
A Kentucky fan promised to get a tattoo of Willie Cauley-Stein if the 7-footer returned to Lexington for his junior season. Saturday, Michael Gray followed through.
Apr 19, 2014, 7:36 PM EDT
UNLV has added another player to its 2014 recruiting class, as shooting guard Patrick McCaw verbally committed to the Mountain West program.
Apr 19, 2014, 6:24 PM EDT
Arizona State has made another addition to its roster, landing a commitment from former UNLV forward Savon Goodman.
Apr 19, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
Forward Zach LeDay has decided to leave the USF program after spending two seasons in Tampa.
Apr 19, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
New Florida A&M AD Kellen Winslow Sr. has already decided that the basketball program needs a new leader, as head coach Clemon Johnson was relieved of his duties Friday.
Apr 19, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT
Will highly-touted Colombian center Tonny Trocha-Morelos finally be joining the Texas A&M program?
Apr 19, 2014, 2:39 PM EDT
Michigan had some open scholarships following the 2014 NBA Draft departures of Nik Stauskas and Glenn Robinson III and they filled one of those on Saturday with a commitment from senior guard Muhammad Ali Abdur-Rahkman.
Apr 19, 2014, 1:25 PM EDT
Gonzaga will have a very tough non-conference slate during the 2014-15 season.
Apr 19, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT
Two-and-through sounds more and more likely to happen.
Apr 19, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill and Satchel Pierce are following former Golden Eagles coach Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech as the duo committed to the Hokies on Saturday morning.
POSTERIZED: SMU commit Emmanuel Mudiay flushes a ridiculous alley-oop during Jordan Brand Classic (VIDEO)
Apr 19, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
SMU commit Emmanuel Mudiay put down the best dunk at the Jordan Brand Classic.
Apr 18, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT
Northern Illinois extended the contract of head coach Mark Montgomery through the 2017-18 season.
Chicago duo Jahlil Okafor, Cliff Alexander earn MVP honors as East beats West in Jordan Brand Classic
Apr 18, 2014, 9:39 PM EDT
Chicago natives Jahlil Okafor and Cliff Alexander earned MVP honors as the East beat the West in the Jordan Brand Classic.
Apr 18, 2014, 8:40 PM EDT
Houston is allowing Danuel House and TaShawn Thomas to transfer, but only to certain programs.
Apr 18, 2014, 7:31 PM EDT
Indiana grabbed a commitment from a 2014 center on Friday night.
Apr 18, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
Miami forward James Kelly is moving on.
Apr 18, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
It was a busy day for the Butler Bulldogs on Friday as freshman guard Elijah Brown intends to transfer while former Indiana wing Austin Etherington will transfer to the Big East program.
Apr 18, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
Ole Miss picked up a big graduate transfer on Friday when former Tennessee State forward M.J. Rhett signed with the Rebels.
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 4
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)