Mar 1, 2013, 12:33 PM EDT
Game of the Night: Harvard at Princeton (7:00 p.m. on ESPNU)
Not much doubt as to which game is the best on Friday’s eight-game slate, and with a win at Jadwin Gym the Crimson would take a two-game lead in the loss column. In their 69-57 win on February 16 Harvard shot 47.9% from the field, and the stars of that game weren’t point guard Siyani Chambers or forward Wesley Saunders either.
Kenyatta Smith and Steve Moundou-Missi tallied 14 points and seven rebounds apiece, with Smith supplementing his effort with six blocked shots and Moundou-Missi dishing out four assists. With Ian Hummer and Denton Koon leading the way inside for Princeton, Smith and Moundou-Missi will need to produce if Harvard is to win at Jadwin.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Night: Loyola (MD) at Iona (7:00 p.m. on ESPN2)
The Gaels have lost six of their last seven games, with each of the defeats coming by three points or less. So what better time for Tim Cluess’ team to turn its late-game luck around than against a Greyhound squad that’s a win away from moving into a tie for first in the MAAC? These are two of the conference’s deeper teams, with guards Lamont Jones and Sean Armand and forward David Laury III leading the way for Iona.
Loyola forward Erik Etherly has been one of the MAAC’s best players and the same can be said for guard Dylon Cormier. Styles make fights and the saying used in boxing rings true in this matchup, as Iona wants to run while Loyola is at its best in a half-court affair. The Gaels were the more efficient team in the first meeting despite the tempo being closer to what Loyola would prefer, shooting 48.1% and averaging nearly 1.2 points/possession in their 79-71 win on January 27.
Five Things to Watch For
1) Another contest with major implications on seeding for the MAAC tournament is Fairfield’s visit to Manhattan. The Stags (9-7) are a game ahead of the Jaspers (8-8) in sixth place, and with the bottom four teams having to play in the first round of the 10-team tournament finishing sixth is critical. In the 10-team era (since 1998) only once has a team playing in the first round gone on to win the MAAC tournament: Siena in 2002.
2) The winner of the game between Marist and Siena can finish no worse than ninth in the MAAC standings, and there’s a strong possibility that the Red Foxes and Saints will meet again in seven days in Springfield. It’s also Senior Night for Siena forward O.D. Anosike, who became the third player in school history to grab at least 1,000 rebounds.
3) Six teams are separated by just two games in the middle of the Atlantic Sun standings, and two of those teams meet tonight when USC Upstate visits East Tennessee State. Both enter the game 8-9 in conference play but the Spartans have lost six of their last seven.
4) The Ivy League race is a two-team affair but there are five other teams with hopes of finishing .500 or better in league play. Brown (4-6) visits Cornell (5-5) in one of the match-ups that will determine how the middle and lower portions of the standings shake out.
5) Looking for an Ivy spoiler? That could be Penn (4-5), who still has games against both Harvard (Saturday) and Princeton (March 12) remaining on the schedule. The Quakers host Dartmouth tonight at the Palestra.
Other Notable Games
Brown at Cornell (7:00 p.m.)
USC Upstate at East Tennessee State (7:00 p.m.; ESPN3)
Fairfield at Manhattan (9:00 p.m.; ESPNU)
Sep 4, 2015, 9:40 AM EDT
Greenwood is the second former college basketball player to sign with an AFL franchise in the last week.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:05 PM EDT
The Bulldogs are guaranteed games against five NCAA tournament teams and could play more based upon what happens in the Battle 4 Atlantis.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:56 PM EDT
Virginia is trying to figure out the academic situation of Mamadi Diakite, who might enroll in 2015.
Sep 3, 2015, 6:51 PM EDT
This comes less than a month after AD Norwood Teague stepped down for his own alleged sexual misconduct.
Sep 3, 2015, 5:22 PM EDT
Joe Struggs, who didn’t enroll until last month, has been dealing with issues with both of his shins.
Sep 3, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT
This year’s Terrapins will look to match what Dixon, Steve Blake and company accomplished just over 13 years ago.
Sep 3, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
Jalen Johnson is one of the best in-game dunkers in the Class of 2016.
Sep 3, 2015, 1:20 PM EDT
The Atlantic 10 released its full conference schedule. The league has 33 games on NBCSN this season.
Sep 3, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Michigan State saw the newly-renovated practice facility when they arrived back from a trip to Italy.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT
Josh Jackson won back-to-back MVP awards at the Under Armour Elite 24.
Sep 2, 2015, 10:05 PM EDT
With two seniors in their current front court, adding a big man helps North Carolina moving forward.
Sep 2, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
Mullin threw out the first pitch at a Yankees game back in late-May.
Sep 2, 2015, 6:15 PM EDT
The men’s basketball freshmen will meet in New York City September 12 & 13.
Sep 2, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
The ACC is loaded this year, which will make for a fun conference schedule.
Sep 2, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
Mississippi guard Tyson Carter is one of the biggest stock risers of July.
Sep 2, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Two in the Arkansas forgery case pleaded not guilty.
Sep 2, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
Josh Jackson and Harry Giles are staying on top of the Rivals150 in the Class of 2016.
Sep 2, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
The American has some talented teams entering the 2015-16 race.
Sep 2, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Randy Kennedy returns in a new season ticket ad for Ole Miss.
Sep 2, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
Jalen Rose isn’t done telling the story of the Fab Five. A new book is reportedly coming.
- Jalen Rose planning a book about the Fab Five 2
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 1
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1