Mar 2, 2013, 4:27 PM EDT
It’s only fitting that star junior Doug McDermott would go for a season-high 41 points in Creighton’s 91-80 win over Wichita State Saturday in Omaha, Neb. It was, after all, a winner-take-all game for the Missouri Valley’s regular season title.
With the win, Creighton secures its first conference title since 2001. The Bluejays will now have the No. 1 seed in the upcoming conference tournament in St. Louis.
McDermott reached the 30-point plateau for the seventh time, this coming on Senior Day in a year that could be his last at the collegiate level if he chooses to turn pro. Not only were his number gaudy on Saturday, but it’s difficult to find a more efficient stat line for a player who scored 41 points. McDermott was 15-of-18 from the floor, including 5-of-8 from three-point range and adding six rebounds.
The offensive efficiency for Creighton began with McDemott, but didn’t end there.
As a team, the Bluejays shot 70 percent from the floor, 52 percent from three-point range, and 87.5 percent from the free-throw line. By hitting so many shots, it really gave Wichita State no chance to work its way back.
But let’s not get ahead of ourselves. The Missouri Valley tournament should be just as crazy and unpredictable as the regular season was. Remember the regular season? When the same offensive juggernaut that was Creighton Saturday lost three straight? Or when Wichita State did the same? Or when Indiana State or Northern Iowa looked like the team to watch out for in the conference?
The biggest worry, especially for high-major bubble teams, will be if we have some upsets in St. Louis and someone other than Wichita State or Creighton takes home the MVC tournament title and punches its ticket to the Big Dance. Then we’ll be popping some bubbles.
Jul 7, 2015, 8:50 AM EDT
Read through my column on Georges Niang and Iowa State.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:47 PM EDT
Four-star point guard Payton Pritchard is going to explore his options heading into the July live evaluation period.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:25 PM EDT
Northwestern continues to get good local pick-ups in the 2016 class.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
La Salle is losing an experienced guard to transfer.
Jul 6, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
One of Tennessee’s only options at point guard is enrolling closer to the school year.
Jul 6, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
One of the better shooting guards in the country is focused on 10 schools.
Jul 6, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Michigan is going with the Jumpman under its new apparel agreement.
Jul 6, 2015, 2:48 PM EDT
Kentucky had led the nation in average attendance for eight straight years.
Jul 6, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
The top three in this group is debatable.
Jul 6, 2015, 12:53 PM EDT
Jonathan Isaac is loaded with potential.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:23 AM EDT
The front of the jersey said Kansas before.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT
Two of the nation’s best high schoolers square off.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:03 PM EDT
Thibodeaux’s decision came eight days after he began basic training.
Jul 5, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
All of the violations were deemed to be Level III or Level IV violations, which isn’t a big deal at all.
Jul 5, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Plenty of college basketball players were in the FIBA U19 World Championships besides the Americans.
Jul 5, 2015, 3:37 PM EDT
The USA U19 team captured back-to-back FIBA World Championships for the first time since 1983.
Jul 5, 2015, 2:20 PM EDT
Mississippi State landed a commitment on Sunday from a transfer.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
Kansas (USA) is 2-0 so far at the World University Games.
Jul 5, 2015, 9:20 AM EDT
Markelle Fultz is one the best guard prospects in the country.
Jul 4, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
Mathiang’s playing on an Australian team that includes the likes of Peter Hooley and Hugh Greenwood.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)