Mar 2, 2013, 10:41 AM EST
The NCAA came down hard on Saint Mary’s Friday with sanctions stemming from recruiting violations by the school and former assistant and director of basketball operations Keith Moss. Among the sanctions are:
– Four years probation from March 1, 2013 through February 28, 2017
– A five-game suspension during the 2013-14 season for head coach Randy Bennett
– An off-campus recruiting ban for Bennett during the 2013-14 academic year
– A two-year show-cause order for the former assistant coach, Moss
– Reduction of men’s basketball scholarships from 13 to 11 for the 2014-15 and 2015-16 seasons.
– Elimination of foreign tours by the men’s basketball team until the start of the 2017-18 season.
– The men’s basketball team may not participate in a multiple-team event until the 2015-16 season.
– The men’s basketball team may not receive skill instruction during the 2013-14 and 2014-15 seasons.
With all of that, though, Saint Mary’s escapes without a postseason ban or show-cause penalty for Bennett, both of which would be more damaging for the coach and program. The biggest obstacles for the Gaels may be in scheduling, now that they will be barred from playing in preseason tournaments. Without the chance to beef up their non-conference schedule with those tournaments, the Gaels will need to be more ambitious in driving their strength of schedule through individual matchups.
Gonzaga will likely continue to be a power in the WCC, so with sanctions in place Saint Mary’s will need to keep up.
Ray Ratto of CSNBayArea.com had an alternative take on the sanctions, writing that “the punishers are on their heels as well, for deeds that far exceed Saint Mary’s.”
Read his piece here and check out video from CSN Bay Area below:
Mar 4, 2015, 1:26 PM EST
These are the small league favorites that can win a game in the NCAA tournament.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:51 AM EST
Hank Gathers died on the court during the WCC tournament.
Mar 4, 2015, 10:42 AM EST
Perry Ellis suffered a nasty looking knee injury last night.
Mar 4, 2015, 10:15 AM EST
I’ve never seen this happen before.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:41 AM EST
Justin Anderson has been out for more than three weeks after fracturing a finger.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:00 AM EST
Two strong teams enter the Valley Conference Tournament with numerous others trying to enter the frame.
Mar 4, 2015, 12:26 AM EST
Kentucky is learning how to win games when they don’t play well. That’s scary.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:58 PM EST
No. 9 Kansas topped No. 20 West Virginia but now the Jayhawks must worry about the health of Perry Ellis.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:59 PM EST
Georgetown and Iowa earn big road wins.
Mar 3, 2015, 7:01 PM EST
All of Tuesday’s bubble action, right here.
Mar 3, 2015, 7:00 PM EST
Cincinnati could be losing an experienced guard for next season.
Jahlil Okafor, D’Angelo Russell among 10 finalists for Wayman Tisdale Award as nation’s best freshman
Mar 3, 2015, 6:00 PM EST
A lot of productive players on the Wayman Tisdale Award finalist list, led by Duke’s Jahlil Okafor and Ohio State’s D’Angelo Russell.
Mar 3, 2015, 4:52 PM EST
Albany is looking for its third NCAA tournament appearance in as many years. Stony Brook is attempting to once again get over that conference tournament hump.
Mar 3, 2015, 3:47 PM EST
Kaminsky has all but locked up the award in my mind.
Mar 3, 2015, 2:32 PM EST
Murray State rolled through the OVC unbeaten and enters the conference tournament as the heavy favorite.
Mar 3, 2015, 1:36 PM EST
Rasheed Sulaimon was reportedly publicly accused of sexual assault.
Mar 3, 2015, 1:24 PM EST
This is the last true road game for the Wildcats this season.
Mar 3, 2015, 12:54 PM EST
Andrew Chrabascz had missed the last two weeks with a broken hand
Mar 3, 2015, 12:05 PM EST
A three-game margin separated the top seven teams, so don’t be surprised if things don’t go according to the seeds in Conway, South Carolina.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:42 AM EST
The National Player of the Year talks hoops, soccer and senior years.
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 0
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)