Mar 2, 2013, 5:25 PM EDT
With some questionable officiating and a tough overtime loss to Kansas still weighing heavily on its mind, Iowa State had a chance Saturday to creep closer to the NCAA tournament and reach the 20-win plateau against Oklahoma. The Cyclones missed that chance in an 86-69 loss in Norman, Okla.
Iowa State’s bubble hopes are now dwindling, as it only seems natural, however painful it is, to point to the Cyclones’ two losses to Kansas as the reason they might not make the NCAA tournament. Not only were they losses in the obvious sense, but they missed out on a chance for two quality wins on a resume that is lacking a true signature. Right now, Iowa State’s home win over No. 11 Kansas State is its best, but there are no others that stand out.
Chances still remain to bolster their resume before Selection Sunday, though. Iowa State welcomes No. 15 Oklahoma State on Wednesday which affords an opportunity before the Big 12 tournament to get a quality win. Then all eyes will be focused on Kansas City to see what coach Fred Hoiberg’s team can do on a neutral court.
- The key to recruiting Myles Turner: a good psychology department? 0
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 2
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 4
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (14)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Bill Self, redshirts, and the Power of Andrew Wiggins (4)
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ (4)
- Follow LIVE: Champions League final
- Live box score: UEFA Champions League final
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona