Mar 2, 2013, 5:25 PM EDT
With some questionable officiating and a tough overtime loss to Kansas still weighing heavily on its mind, Iowa State had a chance Saturday to creep closer to the NCAA tournament and reach the 20-win plateau against Oklahoma. The Cyclones missed that chance in an 86-69 loss in Norman, Okla.
Iowa State’s bubble hopes are now dwindling, as it only seems natural, however painful it is, to point to the Cyclones’ two losses to Kansas as the reason they might not make the NCAA tournament. Not only were they losses in the obvious sense, but they missed out on a chance for two quality wins on a resume that is lacking a true signature. Right now, Iowa State’s home win over No. 11 Kansas State is its best, but there are no others that stand out.
Chances still remain to bolster their resume before Selection Sunday, though. Iowa State welcomes No. 15 Oklahoma State on Wednesday which affords an opportunity before the Big 12 tournament to get a quality win. Then all eyes will be focused on Kansas City to see what coach Fred Hoiberg’s team can do on a neutral court.
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)