Mar 2, 2013, 5:25 PM EST
With some questionable officiating and a tough overtime loss to Kansas still weighing heavily on its mind, Iowa State had a chance Saturday to creep closer to the NCAA tournament and reach the 20-win plateau against Oklahoma. The Cyclones missed that chance in an 86-69 loss in Norman, Okla.
Iowa State’s bubble hopes are now dwindling, as it only seems natural, however painful it is, to point to the Cyclones’ two losses to Kansas as the reason they might not make the NCAA tournament. Not only were they losses in the obvious sense, but they missed out on a chance for two quality wins on a resume that is lacking a true signature. Right now, Iowa State’s home win over No. 11 Kansas State is its best, but there are no others that stand out.
Chances still remain to bolster their resume before Selection Sunday, though. Iowa State welcomes No. 15 Oklahoma State on Wednesday which affords an opportunity before the Big 12 tournament to get a quality win. Then all eyes will be focused on Kansas City to see what coach Fred Hoiberg’s team can do on a neutral court.
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 12
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 1
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 5
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (12)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? (3)
- Burning Questions: Who gets the last shot? (3)