Mar 2, 2013, 2:35 PM EST
Alabama had just gone on a 19-6 run, stymieing No. 8 Florida’s offensive attack while finding a way to get out and score in transition. With 12 minutes left in the second half, a Trevor Releford layup put the Crimson Tide up 45-37. They were rolling.
And they wouldn’t get another good look at the basket the rest of the game.
Alabama was outscored 27-7 over the final 12 minutes, winning 64-52 as Billy Donovan’s defense looked every bit as legitimate as the hype their current Kenpom defensive efficiency rating gives stat-heads. They forced turnovers. They bumped cuts. They kept Nick Jacobs from getting position and cut off Releford’s driving lanes and gave Trevor Lacey and the rest of the Tide perimeter players a split second of space.
It’s no coincidence that this kind of performance comes after Will Yeguete, Michael Frazier and Casey PRather make their resturn to the lineup.
The bottom-line is that Florida is never going to be a good team in the half court. They don’t have great one-on-one players, they have guards that enjoy firing away from three too much, and their best post player doesn’t have all that much of a post game.
But that doesn’t matter when their opponent cannot score.
That was the difference today. That’s why, for the first time this season, Florida won a game that wasn’t a blow-out.
Today was the first time since the first minute of Florida’s loss at Arkansas that the Gators have been at full-strength. And while it took they 28 minutes to wake up, when they did, you got a peak at why many believed Florida to be the best team in the country a month ago.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 0
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)