Mar 2, 2013, 5:41 PM EST
The whispers became rumors became reportable facts:
Official: Ryan Kelly is playing for #Duke
— Laura Keeley (@laurakeeley) March 2, 2013
When the Duke beat reporter for the News Observer tweets it, it’s got to be true.
Ryan Kelly will suit up and see floor time for Duke as they take on ACC leader Miami at 6:00 pm tonight. That’s huge news for the Blue Devils, who looked unbeatable when Kelly was in the lineup, and seemed to miss his floor-stretching shooting most of all in a tough loss to Virginia this week. Kelly suited up for the trip to Charlottesville, but never entered the game, prompting feverish speculation that he was nearly ready to return from an injury that has held him out of the Duke lineup since January 5.
Kelly’s return is hardly the only big news for Duke fans tonight. To add icing to the cake, the NCAA is unveiling some paintings honoring Coach K and his various championship teams during the game tonight as well. The paintings, created by the unintentionally hilariously-named Opie Otterstad, will be unveiled during the pre-game festivities, put on display in the Cameron corridors during the second half and promptly auctioned off online, according to the Duke Athletics website.
Ryan Kelly, Cameron Indoor and fine art? That’s one heck of a day in Durham.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)