Mar 2, 2013, 7:08 PM EDT
VCU played one of their biggest regular season games in program history on Saturday, as they hosted Butler in a matchup that pitted the Atlantic-10’s two highly-valued new additions.
Anyone that watched the game will tell you: the atmosphere was simply electric.
I’m not sure there has ever been a more anticipated ticket in the history of basketball in Richmond. Students even camped out on Friday night outside the Siegel Center, pitching tents and dubbing themselves “Shakaville”, in an effort to land the best seats on Saturday afternoon.
As a way of saying thank you, the man the tent village was named after swung by to drop off pizza for the hungry campers:
I couldn’t love the way Shaka Smart runs a program anymore.
Well, that’s not true.
If he showed up with fresh solo cups and a pack of clean ping pong balls, he would have written his ticket into the hall of fame.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 33
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 6
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (36)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (6)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)