Mar 2, 2013, 7:08 PM EST
VCU played one of their biggest regular season games in program history on Saturday, as they hosted Butler in a matchup that pitted the Atlantic-10’s two highly-valued new additions.
Anyone that watched the game will tell you: the atmosphere was simply electric.
I’m not sure there has ever been a more anticipated ticket in the history of basketball in Richmond. Students even camped out on Friday night outside the Siegel Center, pitching tents and dubbing themselves “Shakaville”, in an effort to land the best seats on Saturday afternoon.
As a way of saying thank you, the man the tent village was named after swung by to drop off pizza for the hungry campers:
I couldn’t love the way Shaka Smart runs a program anymore.
Well, that’s not true.
If he showed up with fresh solo cups and a pack of clean ping pong balls, he would have written his ticket into the hall of fame.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)