Mar 2, 2013, 7:08 PM EDT
VCU played one of their biggest regular season games in program history on Saturday, as they hosted Butler in a matchup that pitted the Atlantic-10′s two highly-valued new additions.
Anyone that watched the game will tell you: the atmosphere was simply electric.
I’m not sure there has ever been a more anticipated ticket in the history of basketball in Richmond. Students even camped out on Friday night outside the Siegel Center, pitching tents and dubbing themselves “Shakaville”, in an effort to land the best seats on Saturday afternoon.
As a way of saying thank you, the man the tent village was named after swung by to drop off pizza for the hungry campers:
I couldn’t love the way Shaka Smart runs a program anymore.
Well, that’s not true.
If he showed up with fresh solo cups and a pack of clean ping pong balls, he would have written his ticket into the hall of fame.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- AAU Nationals Friday Recap: Event moves to Louisville, Bruce Brown plays well, Noah Dickerson updates recruitment 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Class of 2015 Draft 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships 2
- Las Vegas Thursday Recap: Skal Labissiere, Stephen Zimmerman perform well 0
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Missouri State’s Marcus Marshall works to strengthen knee, leadership abilities (2)
- Report: 2015 phenom Ben Simmons fully committed to attending LSU (2)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (2)