Mar 3, 2013, 10:43 AM EDT
With a 12-point loss to Alcorn State Saturday, Grambling State finished the regular season with a winless 0-27 record, including 0-18 in the SWAC.
This comes two seasons after playing in the conference tournament’s title game, now a program that has gone through four coaches in five years and is sitting at the bottom of nearly every statistical category in the country. The Tigers are last (347th) in points per game, 313th in rebounding, 314th in assists, and 346th in field goal percentage.
Grambling’s closest loss was a 10-point defeat at the hands of Prairie View A&M on Feb. 9. The Tigers never lost a game by less than double digits, lost by 40 points four times, and lost once by 50 to Auburn.
But there is still a chance, if you can believe it, to go dancing.
Grambling still qualifies for the SWAC tournament and will take on Alabama A&M on March 13 in its first game on a quest for an automatic bid. But bad news is that the Tigers just lost to A&M, 74-47, on Thursday, a game in which they shot 33 percent from the floor. They also lost to A&M by 25 points on Jan. 2.
This is a team and a program in transition. Last season, Towson finished 1-31, but has stormed back this season to win 18 games and tie for second place in the CAA this season. The turnaround at Grambling likely won’t be that quick, but it also is not impossible with time.
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and a decommitments 0
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 0
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 3
- Arizona lands four-star center to potential No. 1 recruiting class in 2015 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility (3)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (3)