Mar 3, 2013, 12:02 PM EDT
Last season, Towson was the worst team in college basketball. The struggling Tigers finished 1-31 on the season, including a 22-game losing streak to start the year.
What a difference a year can make.
With its 67-64 home win over Hofstra Saturday, Towson finishes the season at 18-13, an NCAA record-setting 17.5-game turnaround from the previous season. The Tigers improved by 17 wins, but played one less game in the 2012-13 regular season, which accounts for the half-game.
That mark breaks the record previously held by Mercer in 2002-03 and UTEP the year after in 2003-04. Both teams improved by 17 games. For coach Pat Skerry’s team, this is the most wins the program has had in one season since 1993-94 when the Tigers were 21-9 and won the Big South title.
One of the biggest keys to Towson’s turnaround has been likely CAA Player of the Year and double-double machine Jerrelle Benimon. The Georgetown transfer averaged 17.1 points and 11.1 rebounds per game and has recorded 20 double-doubles this year, including Saturday in the win over Hofstra.
Towson finished tied for second place in the CAA, but is barred from the conference tournament and any other postseason play after APR sanctions placed on the program by the NCAA.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 6 Virginia Cavaliers 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: College Basketball Dream Team 1
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- Sophomore guard decides to leave Kansas program (3)
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)