Mar 3, 2013, 12:02 PM EDT
Last season, Towson was the worst team in college basketball. The struggling Tigers finished 1-31 on the season, including a 22-game losing streak to start the year.
What a difference a year can make.
With its 67-64 home win over Hofstra Saturday, Towson finishes the season at 18-13, an NCAA record-setting 17.5-game turnaround from the previous season. The Tigers improved by 17 wins, but played one less game in the 2012-13 regular season, which accounts for the half-game.
That mark breaks the record previously held by Mercer in 2002-03 and UTEP the year after in 2003-04. Both teams improved by 17 games. For coach Pat Skerry’s team, this is the most wins the program has had in one season since 1993-94 when the Tigers were 21-9 and won the Big South title.
One of the biggest keys to Towson’s turnaround has been likely CAA Player of the Year and double-double machine Jerrelle Benimon. The Georgetown transfer averaged 17.1 points and 11.1 rebounds per game and has recorded 20 double-doubles this year, including Saturday in the win over Hofstra.
Towson finished tied for second place in the CAA, but is barred from the conference tournament and any other postseason play after APR sanctions placed on the program by the NCAA.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)