Mar 4, 2013, 11:39 PM EDT
Any shot Baylor had at an at-large berth in the NCAA Tournament may have just gone out the door.
The Bears dropped a 79-70 decision at Texas (14-16, 6-11 Big 12), with Sheldon McClellan scoring 23 points off the bench on 9-of-15 shooting.
The game was really decided by Texas’ offensive prowess. The Longhorns got huge minutes from McClellan, Myck Kabongo and Ioannis Papapetrou, who combined to hit 22-of-38 shots for 60 points.
That also reveals the biggest problem for Baylor (17-13, 8-9). They failed to stop a team that has essentially been carried by two players this season — one before Kabongo came back — then allowed a third, Papapetrou, to assert himself as a force from the outside. It’s a trend that’s failed to end for Baylor. They’re suspect on defense and when they get down, they seem to stay there. Pierre Jackson fights, but younger guys like Deuce Bello, Cory Jefferson and Isaiah Austin can’t seem to find any way to regain their confidence.
Austin finished with 15 points on 4-of-14 shooting while Jefferson (seven) and Bello (seven) combined for 14.
The Bears have lost five of their last six games and won only three of their last 11.
Jackson led the Bears with 22 points on 7-of-17 shooting. Brady Heslip, who averages 2.4 three-point makes per game, was held to 0-for-3 from deep for just two points.
After this nose dive, it’d be hard to believe that the Bears have even an outside shot at being on the bubble, much less being on the right side of it. Their best wins are over BYU, Kentucky and Oklahoma State, only one of which was ranked at the time, that being Kentucky, whose NCAA Tournament hopes hang in the balance as well.
It’s a sad thing to see for a team that had so much potential to start the season. If Scott Drew can get Austin, Bello and Jefferson to return, which seems likely, this team could find it’s way back into Big 12 contention next season.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Green Bay’s Keifer Sykes maintains the chip on his shoulder 0
- Skal Labissiere, Reach Your Dreams Prep and why this isn’t as scuzzy as it sounds 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 9 Gonzaga Bulldogs 2
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)