Mar 4, 2013, 7:26 PM EDT
Looks like New Mexico might be down a man entering the Mountain West Conference tournament.
Guard Demetrius Walker has been suspended indefinitely for the ever-popular “undisclosed violation of team rules.”
The fourth-year junior hasn’t played a minute in the last four games for undisclosed reasons as well. He transferred into the program from Arizona State after the 2009-10 season. He last played seven minutes and scored five points in a 54-48 win at Fresno State. They have road games at Nevada and Air Force to close out the regular season this week.
The loss is a depth hit for the Lobos, but it’s a depth hit that’s already four games old. New Mexico wrapped up the MWC regular season title this past weekend with a 53-42 win over Wyoming. Walker had been averaging 5.0 points, 1.2 rebounds and 0.7 assists in 15.4 minutes per game for Steve Alford and New Mexico this season.
The last four games without Walker haven’t seemed to affect the Lobos, so I can’t see a reason for it to start being a problem for them now. Walker was a solid guard to come in and spell Kendall Williams and Hugh Greenwood, but whatever comes of Walker’s suspension, New Mexico should be fine through it.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 0
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 1
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 3
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 20
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see 9
- No. 2 Arizona, Sean Miller’s quest to reach Final Four once again falls short 8
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (85)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (22)