Mar 4, 2013, 7:26 PM EST
Looks like New Mexico might be down a man entering the Mountain West Conference tournament.
Guard Demetrius Walker has been suspended indefinitely for the ever-popular “undisclosed violation of team rules.”
The fourth-year junior hasn’t played a minute in the last four games for undisclosed reasons as well. He transferred into the program from Arizona State after the 2009-10 season. He last played seven minutes and scored five points in a 54-48 win at Fresno State. They have road games at Nevada and Air Force to close out the regular season this week.
The loss is a depth hit for the Lobos, but it’s a depth hit that’s already four games old. New Mexico wrapped up the MWC regular season title this past weekend with a 53-42 win over Wyoming. Walker had been averaging 5.0 points, 1.2 rebounds and 0.7 assists in 15.4 minutes per game for Steve Alford and New Mexico this season.
The last four games without Walker haven’t seemed to affect the Lobos, so I can’t see a reason for it to start being a problem for them now. Walker was a solid guard to come in and spell Kendall Williams and Hugh Greenwood, but whatever comes of Walker’s suspension, New Mexico should be fine through it.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 6
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 1
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 3
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)