Mar 4, 2013, 1:43 PM EDT
Game of the Night: Cincinnati at No. 8 Louisville (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
The Bearcats finally snapped a stretch of five losses in six games on Saturday afternoon, as they knocked off a depleted UConn team at home. The game was much closer than it probably should have been given the fact that the Huskies were playing without their star point guard Shabazz Napier, which means that while the Bearcats got a needed boost to their resume and their confidence, it doesn’t exactly change the fact that they have struggled since Cashmere Wright injured his knee.
Cincinnati cannot score the basketball right now. They don’t have anyone inside to dump the ball off to, which creates a problem since Sean Kilpatrick is really the only healthy perimeter player that can be trusted to score, and even he is better playing off the ball. Without Wright available to make things easier for his teammates with his ability to create off the dribble, the Bearcats stagnate. That’s not a good thing heading into a game against one of the toughest defenses in the country on the road.
Something to watch for: Russ Smith’s efficiency. He’s been much more selective in the shots that he’s taken over the last month or so. It’s shown; Louisville has won eight of their last nine games.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Night: Montana at Southern Utah (9:05 p.m. ET)
This isn’t exactly a great basketball game, but it is one that could tell us a lot about the Grizzlies moving forward. They are playing without Mathias Ward and Will Cherry right now, and it’s unknown exactly when those two will be back. They just so happen to be Montana’s leading scorer and most talented player. The Grizzlies struggled to a 71-68 win over Montana State on Saturday.
1) Baylor visits Texas in what might be the least interesting Big 12 Big Monday game in the history of Big Monday. (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
2) No. 4 Kansas hosts Texas Tech in another game that the Jayhawks should win in a route. Let’s see if the new Elijah Johnson hangs around for another game. (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
3) Norfolk State puts their 14-0 record in the MEAC on the line against Florida A&M. (8:00 p.m. ET)
4) The team chasing NSU, North Carolina Central, is 13-1 in the MEAC and they’ll be hosting South Carolina State tonight. (7:30 p.m. ET)
5) The Following has a new episode tonight, which you should probably watch before catching up on Baylor-Texas on your DVR. (9:00 p.m. ET, FOX)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Mar 9, 2014, 11:09 PM EDT
Catch up on all of today’s bubble action. Is Nebraska a lock after beating Wisconsin? Can St. Joseph’s still dance after losing to La Salle?
Mar 9, 2014, 10:22 PM EDT
Picked to finish last in the Big Ten’s preseason poll, Nebraska moved closer to its first NCAA tournament appearance since 1998 with a win over No. 9 Wisconsin.
Mar 9, 2014, 9:26 PM EDT
William & Mary beats Towson, moving to within 40 minutes of their first NCAA tournament berth.
Mar 9, 2014, 8:50 PM EDT
No. 22 Michigan State’s late-game execution left much to be desired on Sunday.
Mar 9, 2014, 7:39 PM EDT
After winning three straight games Ohio State dropped road games at Penn State and Indiana, falling out of the national polls and finding themselves in danger of not receiving a first-round bye in next week’s Big Ten tournament as a result. The Buckeyes’ game against No. 22 Michigan State was also Senior Day for a…
Mar 9, 2014, 7:38 PM EDT
Did she say yes?
Mar 9, 2014, 6:31 PM EDT
Since joining the Colonial Athletic Association in 2001 the Delaware Fightin’ Blue Hens had never made an appearance in the CAA tournament title game. That will change on Monday night, as the top-seeded Fightin’ Blue Hens (24-9, 14-2) beat Northeastern 87-74 in a CAA tournament semifinal on Sunday afternoon. Davon Usher led five players in…
Mar 9, 2014, 5:16 PM EDT
Get to know the fifth entry into the 2014 NCAA Tournament field, the Mercer Bears
Mar 9, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
The Missouri Valley Conference had an unfortunate mistake in the t-shirts that they gave Wichita State for winning the conference tournament.
Mar 9, 2014, 4:54 PM EDT
Wichita State Shockers will head into the NCAA tournament at 34-0, the first team to be undefeated on Selection Sunday in 23 years.
Mar 9, 2014, 4:49 PM EDT
The CAA Tournament semifinals will take place on Sunday afternoon in Baltimore. Towson and Williams & Mary will tip off at roughly 5:00 p.m. You can watch the game live on NBC Sports Live Extra. The first semi was won by CAA regular season champion Delaware who beat a Northeastern team that can count a win over…
Mar 9, 2014, 4:27 PM EDT
For the first time in what feels like a month, No. 7 Syracuse looked like a team capable of putting together a run to the Final Four. The Orange got 22 points, seven boards and four steals from C.J. Fair as they went into Tallahassee and knocked off Florida State, 74-58. The big news for…
Mar 9, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT
Jordair Jett helped snap a three-game losing streak while also delivering Saint Louis the Atlantic 10 regular season title with a last-second win over UMass.
Mar 9, 2014, 3:33 PM EDT
Former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice attended a fundraiser for Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell, a senator from Kentucky, at Rupp Arena on Thursday. She found time to pay a visit to the Kentucky locker room and snap a photo with a couple members of the team and visit with John Calipari:
Mar 9, 2014, 3:17 PM EDT
In recent years the East Division has dominated the MAC, with the last nine winners of the automatic bid coming from that division. But the power was in the West this year, with Western Michigan and Toledo finishing with matching 14-4 conference records. As a result those two get byes to the semifinals, with three-seed…
Mar 9, 2014, 2:47 PM EDT
No. 5 Virginia lost their first game since January. Just how concerned should be be about the Cavaliers? Are they still in contention for a No. 1 seed?
Mar 9, 2014, 2:12 PM EDT
Get to know the second entry into the 2014 NCAA Tournament field, the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers.
Mar 9, 2014, 2:08 PM EDT
The CAA Tournament semifinal will take place on Sunday afternoon in Baltimore. The first semi will be between CAA regular season champion Delaware and a Northeastern team that can count a win over Georgetown on their resume. You can watch the game live on NBC Sports Live Extra. The first semifinal will tip off at…
Mar 9, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
MEAC favorite North Carolina Central looks to avoid the chaos of last season’s tournament, in which the top three seeds all lost in the quarterfinals.
Mar 9, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT
The sophomore forward is still unsure if he will return to action this season, only appearing in eight games due to a back injury.
- Bubble Banter: Nebraska’s marquee win, St. Joseph’s problematic loss 0
- Turnovers help Ohio State beat No. 22 Michigan State in regular season finale 1
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed 7
- Jabari Parker, Rodney Hood score 54 in No. 4 Duke’s win over No. 14 UNC 0
- Bubble Banter: Oregon, Tennessee headline Saturday’s early winners 0
- Creighton’s Doug McDermott scores his 3,000th point (VIDEO) 0
- Oregon’s big win over No. 3 Arizona caps impressive regular season turnaround 1
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- South Carolina suspends Frank Martin for regular season finale at Mississippi State (5)