Mar 4, 2013, 10:59 AM EDT
Tim Williams was one of the guys that we unfortunately hear about far too often — after starting 26 games as a sophomore, Williams saw knee injuries derail his career. Three times over the course of the last two years, Williams had the bad luck of watching his knees fail him.
First, it was a minor fracture in his left knee in November of 2011. Then it was a torn knee-cap in the same knee last April. And, finally, this past October he tore the patella in his left knee.
His career, for all intents and purposes, was over.
But, as Matt Norlander chronicled here, Williams healed quicker than expected:
About a month ago, Williams started to feel stronger. He could lift weights and squat with confidence and do heavier sets than anticipated. He went back to the doctor and wanted another diagnosis. The feeling was if he could be mobile, he could make the best of a situation. The goal came into focus for the man who started 26 games his sophomore year: play at least a few seconds on Senior Night.
It wasn’t until last Friday, when Williams talked to the team trainer, that this became a real possibility. Eight days prior to Senior Night, he pitched his idea. The trainer then brought it up to Gaels coach Randy Bennett after the team’s 87-48 win over Pepperdine last Wednesday. Bennett agreed: If Saint Mary’s was comfortably ahead or behind against Santa Clara, Williams would see the floor, if only for a few seconds.
St. Mary’s had some trouble putting Santa Clara away, but they held a 10 point lead on the final possession and, well, just watch the video:
(Image via St. Mary’s Athletics)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)