Mar 5, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT
UCLA coach Ben Howland revealed the worst-kept secret in college basketball last week after the Bruins’ 74-69 win over No. 11 Arizona at home.
“That was [Shabazz Muhammad’s] last game in Pauley, no doubt about it,” Howland said. “I’m very much a realist now. I knew going into this deal that this was a one-year deal, and it should be. He’s a lottery pick. He’s a top-five pick. When you have that going for you, it is absolutely the right thing.”
Muhammad, the freshman who is averaging 18.3 points and 5.1 rebounds per game, is expected to be a Top 5 pick in the 2013 NBA Draft and there has been little doubt about his eventual intentions to declare. But the timing of Howland’s announcement were what perplexed most. Traditionally these have been matters handled in the offseason, with no mention during the year. There is typically so little mention in fact that many players and coaches act as if the NBA does not exist at all.
For that reason, Howland took a chance to “apologize” Tuesday, as reported by Peter Yoon of ESPNLosAngeles.com:
“I’m sorry that I even — I’m sometimes too honest because it would have been better to have answered that question differently the other day because I’ve never discussed it with Shabazz,” Howland said. “It’s just kind of obvious when a kid is a lottery pick that they’re going to be going to the NBA in this day and age.”
He did nothing wrong. No one is saying he did. But now we’ll go back to the established order, back to the way things were. We’ll go back to the world where the NBA couldn’t even be acknowledged until after the final buzzer of the national championship game on April 8. Then the off-season madness begins.
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 3
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 3
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft (3)