Mar 5, 2013, 5:35 PM EDT
We sometimes forget that sitting on the bubble for the NCAA tournament can eventually have real monetary implications. In the case of Kentucky coach John Calipari, that could mean close to a quarter of a million dollars.
According to Forbes, Calipari would be set to make an additional $700,000 if the Wildcats won the national championship. That would be part of a larger bonus package that pays him performance-based incentives as Kentucky moves through the tournament, including $100,000 for a Sweet 16 appearance. Bonuses or not, Calipari is still getting a good chunk of change from UK.
The coach rakes in $3.8 million in annual pay (base salary plus income from broadcasting and endorsements), not to mention $1 million retention bonuses paid in the summer of each year he stays, excepting 2015 and 2018.
Kentucky has won 20 games this season but lost on the road to Arkansas this weekend. The Wildcats have two games remaining before the SEC tournament, one on the road at Georgia and one at home vs. No. 11 Florida. Thursday’s game against Georgia is a must-win, and a win over Florida would go a long way toward solidifying a tournament berth.
Kentucky is an even 3-3 without freshman center Nerlens Noel, who went down with an ACL tear on Feb. 12 in a loss to Florida.
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (3)