Mar 5, 2013, 8:30 AM EDT
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
Tim Floyd coached at USC from 2006-2009 before resigning amid a scandal that included both the football and basketball programs. The questions surrounding Floyd involved his recruitment of OJ Mayo — and a crumpled envelope full of cash — but he was eventually cleared of any wrongdoing and took a job at UTEP.
Which is where he currently works.
And his season is not yet over, as evidenced by the fact that the Miners host No. 25 Memphis tonight.
Yet, Floyd is not only talking to USC about their current head coaching vacancy, he’s also talking to the press about it.
Floyd told the LA Times that the interview “went well” and that he believes people “should know that USC reached out, that no violations were found by the NCAA with USC basketball.”
“I felt like I got my name back when I got offered a number of jobs when I left USC. Pat and I talked at length,” Floyd said. The Times also reported that USC has interviewed Syracuse assistant Mike Hopkins, who is the coach-in-waiting for the Orange that apparently doesn’t feel like waiting out Jim Boeheim’s retirement, which could take a while.
Who knows if Floyd will end up being the next head coach at USC. At this point, it’s tough to tell given that the coaching carousel hasn’t even begun to start yet. That said, the fact that Pat Haden reached back out to Floyd, who isn’t exactly the most savory character in the coaching business, is a bit surprising.
It will be interesting to see how the USC coaching search plays out.
And it will be interesting to see how his players react to their head coach publicly discussing that he’s interviewing for another job before the season is over.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)