Mar 5, 2013, 8:30 AM EDT
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
Tim Floyd coached at USC from 2006-2009 before resigning amid a scandal that included both the football and basketball programs. The questions surrounding Floyd involved his recruitment of OJ Mayo — and a crumpled envelope full of cash — but he was eventually cleared of any wrongdoing and took a job at UTEP.
Which is where he currently works.
And his season is not yet over, as evidenced by the fact that the Miners host No. 25 Memphis tonight.
Yet, Floyd is not only talking to USC about their current head coaching vacancy, he’s also talking to the press about it.
Floyd told the LA Times that the interview “went well” and that he believes people “should know that USC reached out, that no violations were found by the NCAA with USC basketball.”
“I felt like I got my name back when I got offered a number of jobs when I left USC. Pat and I talked at length,” Floyd said. The Times also reported that USC has interviewed Syracuse assistant Mike Hopkins, who is the coach-in-waiting for the Orange that apparently doesn’t feel like waiting out Jim Boeheim’s retirement, which could take a while.
Who knows if Floyd will end up being the next head coach at USC. At this point, it’s tough to tell given that the coaching carousel hasn’t even begun to start yet. That said, the fact that Pat Haden reached back out to Floyd, who isn’t exactly the most savory character in the coaching business, is a bit surprising.
It will be interesting to see how the USC coaching search plays out.
And it will be interesting to see how his players react to their head coach publicly discussing that he’s interviewing for another job before the season is over.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Jul 3, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
The rising sophomore was originally being blocked from transferring to 55 schools.
Jul 3, 2015, 6:08 PM EDT
Ohio State begins its 2017 class with a local product.
Jul 3, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson led USA Basketball with 17 points.
Jul 3, 2015, 3:03 PM EDT
Given Oregon’s many perimeter options, minutes were likely to be at a premium for Rorie in 2015-16.
Jul 3, 2015, 2:10 PM EDT
A lot of unranked players made their way into the top five in a surprisingly deep class.
Jul 3, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson led four Americans in double figures with 17 points.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Minnesota is one of four schools the 6-foot-10 center is reportedly considering.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
The lone school to host the Georgia native on an official visit is considered to be the favorite in this recruiting race.
Jul 2, 2015, 7:40 PM EDT
Oregon still has a date to fill (December 29), which the school expects to be filled by an in-state opponent.
Jul 2, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
This is nasty.
Jul 2, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
The Class of 2007 produced some very good players, including one who’s an NBA MVP and others who have developed into perennial all-stars.
Jul 2, 2015, 2:53 PM EDT
I’m a big fan of these, particularly the dark grey ones.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:43 PM EDT
Cell phone addiction is a national crisis.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:17 PM EDT
Can anyone guess what that moment is?
Jul 2, 2015, 10:09 AM EDT
This is something else.
Jul 2, 2015, 9:27 AM EDT
The Golden Bears should still be alright this season.
Jul 1, 2015, 10:05 PM EDT
Dillard becomes Oklahoma State’s fourth addition to the program.
Jul 1, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Next up for the United States is Italy, and they could run into hosts Greece in the semifinals.
Jul 1, 2015, 8:10 PM EDT
Jones recently received his qualifying score on the SAT, only to inform SDSU that he wanted to be released from his NLI.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)