Mar 5, 2013, 12:15 PM EST
Brittney Griner cemented her legacy as the greatest women’s college basketball player of all-time on Monday night.
On her senior night, the 6-foot-8 Griner not only scored a Big 12 record 50 points on 21-28 shooting, but she threw down one of the more impressive dunks of her illustrious career, dropping stepping on and finishing over some helpless Kansas State defender:
You want a sign of just how good Griner is? There are only two things I find surprising about her performance: that she’s never scored 50 before, and that she only finished with six rebounds in the game.
Griner is now the second all-time leading scorer in women’s basketball history with 3,123 career points. Jackie Stiles is the record-holder at 3,393, a number that Griner has a chance to get to if she continues to play like this.
There aren’t a lot people that pay close attention to the women’s game, but anyone that’s a fan of sports can appreciate greatness when they see it. We may never see a basketball player as dominant as Griner at the college level again, whether on the men’s or women’s side.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 20
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- No. 13 Gonzaga makes definitive statement with blowout of No. 22 SMU 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (20)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)