Mar 5, 2013, 12:15 PM EDT
Brittney Griner cemented her legacy as the greatest women’s college basketball player of all-time on Monday night.
On her senior night, the 6-foot-8 Griner not only scored a Big 12 record 50 points on 21-28 shooting, but she threw down one of the more impressive dunks of her illustrious career, dropping stepping on and finishing over some helpless Kansas State defender:
You want a sign of just how good Griner is? There are only two things I find surprising about her performance: that she’s never scored 50 before, and that she only finished with six rebounds in the game.
Griner is now the second all-time leading scorer in women’s basketball history with 3,123 career points. Jackie Stiles is the record-holder at 3,393, a number that Griner has a chance to get to if she continues to play like this.
There aren’t a lot people that pay close attention to the women’s game, but anyone that’s a fan of sports can appreciate greatness when they see it. We may never see a basketball player as dominant as Griner at the college level again, whether on the men’s or women’s side.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)